Dr. Maria Parekh is a board-certified Neurologist who subspecializes in Vascular Neurology. Born in Pakistan and raised in the Middle East, she completed medical school at the prestigious Aga Khan University in Karachi, Pakistan. After completing her Neurology residency at the Baylor College of Medicine where she served as the Chief Resident and Resident Wellness Co-Chair, she came to the University of Texas Health Sciences Center at Houston for her fellowship in Vascular Neurology.
Dr. Parekh enjoys clinical research in cerebrovascular disease and has authored multiple abstracts, publications and book chapters which have been presented at national and international conferences. She is passionate about trainee medical education and excellence in patient care. When Dr. Parekh isn’t providing excellent care to her patients, she enjoys traveling, trying new restaurants, and exploring with her amazing family and friends. She is happy to call Houston her new home and is thrilled to be part of its community!
- Medical Degree
- Aga Khan University - Karachi, Pakistan
- Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine - Houston, TX
- Vascular Neurology, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth - Houston, TX
Areas of Interest
- Vascular Neurology
- Stroke in Women
- Cardioembolic strokes
- Telemedicine for Acute Stroke
- Acute Stroke Advanced Imaging
- Sex differences in Stroke
- Cardioembolic strokes
- Endovascular treatments for stroke
- Parekh MA, DeLaGarza C, Johnson J. Common carotid macrothrombosis causing acute ischaemic stroke in a patient with COVID-19. BMJ Case Rep. 2021 Jul 27;14(7):e245081. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2021-245081. PMID: 34315756
- Haque ME, Boren SB, Arevalo OD, Gupta R, George S, Parekh MA, Zhao X, Aronowski J, Savitz SI. Longitudinal, Quantitative, Multimodal MRI Evaluation of Patients With Intracerebral Hemorrhage Over the First Year. Front Neurol. 2021 Nov 30;12:764718. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2021.764718. PMID: 34917017
- Parekh MA, Bhatti AUA. Controversies in Management of Hemorrhagic Stroke and Rehabilitation Challenges in Pakistan. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2017 Aug;27(8):526. PMID: 28903854
- Kamal AK, Khealani BA, Ansari SA, Afridi M, Syed NA. Early ischemic stroke presentation in Pakistan. Can J Neurol Sci. 2009 Mar;36(2):181-6. doi: 10.1017/s0317167100006545. PMID: 19378711
- Wasay M, Azeemuddin M, Masroor I, Sajjad Z, Ahmed R, Khealani BA, Malik MA, Afridi MB, Kamal A. Frequency and outcome of carotid atheromatous disease in patients with stroke in Pakistan. Stroke. 2009 Mar;40(3):708-12. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.108.532960. Epub 2009 Jan 22. PMID: 19164780.