April Crawford, Ph.D.
- Associate Professor
- Co-Director, Children's Learning Institute
- Director, State Initiatives
- Graduate School
- Political Science and Public Policy, University of Houston in Houston, Texas 2010
Areas of Interest
Doctor Crawford serves as the director of state initiatives for the Children’s Learning Institute. In this role, she conducts research and oversees implementation of CLI’s statewide initiatives focusing on early childhood education and literacy, including the Texas School Ready project, the Texas Head Start State Collaboration Office, Reach Out and Read-Texas, and CLI Engage, the online platform serving more than 35,000 early childhood teachers, specialists, and administrators in Texas. Dr. Crawford serves as the principal investigator for several current research projects at CLI. She directly oversees statewide implementation of the nationally recognized Texas School Ready project, which serves approximately 1,500 teachers and 25,000 children annually. Along with other faculty members, she provides grant writing and project management support to further the mission of CLI and expand our programs.
Dr. Crawford developed several research-based performance assessment tools and measures for use by pre-k teachers participating in the Texas School Ready project, including the Classroom Observation Tool (COT), the Classroom Environment Checklist (CEC), and the Administrator Classroom Observation Tool (A-COT). She served as the lead author of the Texas Core Competencies for Early Childhood Practitioners and Administrators. Dr. Crawford was appointed to the Texas Early Learning Council in 2019 by Governor Greg Abbott.
- Crawford, April. 2006. “The Impact of Child Care Subsidies on Single Mothers’ Work Effort.” Review of Policy Research 23 (3): 699–711.
- Williams, Jeffrey M., Susan H. Landry, Jason L. Anthony, Paul R. Swank, and April D. Crawford. 2012. “An Empirically-Based Statewide System for Identifying Quality Pre-Kindergarten Programs.” Education Policy Analysis Archives 20 (17): 17.
- Landry, Susan H., Karen E. Smith, Paul R. Swank, Tricia Zucker, April D. Crawford, and Emily F. Solari. 2012. “The Effects of a Responsive Parenting Intervention on Parent-Child Interactions during Shared Book Reading.” Developmental Psychology 48 (4): 969–86.
- Williams, Jeffrey M., Susan Landry, Jason L. Anthony, Paul R Swank, and April D. Crawford. 2012. “Sistema Estatal Basado En Datos Empíricos Para Identificar Programas de Educación Pre-Escolar de Calidad.” Education Policy Analysis Archives 20: 1–36.
- Crawford, April D., Tricia A. Zucker, Jeffrey M. Williams, Vibhuti Bhavsar, and Susan H. Landry. 2013. “Initial Validation of the Prekindergarten Classroom Observation Tool and Goal Setting System for Data-Based Coaching.” School Psychology Quarterly 28 (4): 277–300.
- Guttentag, Cathy L., Susan H. Landry, Jeffrey M. Williams, Kathleen M. Baggett, Christine W. Noria, John G. Borkowski, Paul R. Swank, Jaelyn R. Farris, April Crawford, and Robin G. Lanzi. 2014. “‘My Baby & Me’: Effects of an Early, Comprehensive Parenting Intervention on at-Risk Mothers and Their Children.” Developmental Psychology 50 (5): 1482–96.
- Landry, Susan H., Tricia A. Zucker, Heather B. Taylor, Paul R. Swank, Jeffrey M. Williams, Michael Assel, April Crawford, Weihua Huang, Jeanine Clancy-Menchetti, and Christopher J. Lonigan. 2014. “Enhancing Early Child Care Quality and Learning for Toddlers at Risk: The Responsive Early Childhood Program.” Developmental Psychology 50 (2): 526–41.
- Merz, Emily C., Susan H. Landry, Jeffrey M. Williams, Marcia A. Barnes, Nancy Eisenberg, Tracy L. Spinrad, Carlos Valiente, Michael Assel, Heather B. Taylor, and Christopher J. Lonigan. 2014. “Associations among Parental Education, Home Environment Quality, Effortful Control, and Preacademic Knowledge.” Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology 35 (4): 304–15.
- Zucker, Tricia A., Jeffrey M. Williams, Elizabeth R. Bell, Michael A. Assel, Susan H. Landry, Pauline Monsegue-Bailey, April Crawford, and Vibhuti Bhavsar. 2016. “Validation of a Brief, Screening Measure of Low-Income Pre-Kindergarteners’ Science and Engineering Knowledge.” Early Childhood Research Quarterly 36: 345–57.
- Crawford, April, Tricia Zucker, Bethanie Van Horne, and Susan Landry. 2017. “Integrating Professional Development Content and Formative Assessment with the Coaching Process: The Texas School Ready Model.” Theory Into Practice 56 (1): 56–65.
- Crawford, April, Cheryl Varghese, and Pauline Monsegue-Bailey. 2020. “The Implementation and Scaling of an Early Education Program.” The Journal of Applied Research on Children: Informing Policy for Children at Risk 11 (1): 4.
- Montroy, Janelle J., Tricia A. Zucker, Michael M. Assel, Susan H. Landry, Jason L. Anthony, Jeffrey M. Williams, Hsien-Yuan Hsu, April Crawford, Ursula Y. Johnson, and Maria S. Carlo. 2020. “The Texas Kindergarten Entry Assessment: Development, Psychometrics, and Scale-Up of a Comprehensive Screener.” Early Education and Development 31 (5): 701–38.
- Assel, Mike A., Janelle J. Montroy, Jeffrey M. Williams, Matt Foster, Susan H. Landry, Tricia Zucker, April Crawford, Hannah Hyatt, and Vibhuti Bhavsar. 2020. “Initial Validation of a Math Progress Monitoring Measure for Prekindergarten Students.” Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment 38 (8): 1014–32.
- Crawford, April, Kelly A Vaughn, Cathy L Guttentag, Cheryl Varghese, Yoonkyung Oh, and Tricia A Zucker. 2021. “‘Doing What I Can, but I Got No Magic Wand:’ A Snapshot of Early Childhood Educator Experiences and Efforts to Ensure Quality During the COVID-19 Pandemic.” Early Childhood Education Journal 49 (5): 1–12.
- Landry, Susan H., Tricia A. Zucker, Janelle J. Montroy, Hsien-Yuan Hsu, Mike A. Assel, Cheryl Varghese, April Crawford, and Edward G. Feil. 2021. “Replication of Combined School Readiness Interventions for Teachers and Parents of Head Start Pre-Kindergarteners Using Remote Delivery.” Early Childhood Research Quarterly 56: 149–66.
- Crawford, April, Cheryl Varghese, Yoonkyung Oh, Cathy Guttentag, Tricia Zucker, Susan Landry, and Reese-Anna Cummins. 2021. “An Initial Investigation of the CIRCLE Infant-Toddler Teacher Training for Toddler Teachers.” Early Education and Development, 1–25.
- Crawford, April, Cheryl Varghese, Hsien-Yuan Hsu, Tricia Zucker, Susan Landry, Michael Assel, Pauline Monsegue-Bailey, and Vibhutibala Bhavsar. 2021. “A Comparative Analysis of Instructional Coaching Approaches: Face-to-Face versus Remote Coaching in Preschool Classrooms.” Journal of Educational Psychology.
- Crawford, A., Varghese, C., Oh, Y., Guttentag, C., Zucker, T., Landry, S., Cummins, R. Johnson, U., & Montroy, J. 2021. The effects of the CLI Engage Toddler Program on child care teachers and toddlers. Early Education & Development.
- Assel, M.A., Crawford, A. C., Maldonado-Yeomans, G., Zucker, T. A. (2022, July). Development and Initial Validity of a Teacher-Reported Dyslexia Referral Checklist for Kindergarteners. Society for Scientific Studies of Reading Annual Meeting, Paper Symposium.
- Zucker, T. A., Landry, S.H., Montroy, J. J., Hsu, H., Assel, M. A., Varghese, C. Crawford, A. & Fiel, E. (2022, July). Replication of Combined School Readiness Interventions for Teachers and Parents of High-Risk Pre-Kindergarteners Using Remote Delivery. Society for Scientific Studies of Reading Annual Meeting, Paper Symposium.
Membership in Professional Societies:
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Association for Public Policy Analysis & Management
Service on Department of Pediatrics Committees:
- 2017-2019, Associate Director of CLI, Senior Leadership Team Member, CLI, University of Texas Medical School at Houston
- 2020, Reading Research Faculty Search Committee Member, CLI, University of Texas Medical School at Houston
- 2020-Present, Co-Director of Children’s Learning Institute, Division in Department of Pediatrics, Serving with Co-Director, Tricia Zucker, Ph.D., CLI, University of Texas Medical School at Houston