- Lead Investigator: James Chang, PT, PhD
- Researcher: Ruta Paranjape, MS, CCRP o Post-doc: Taimoor Afzal, PhD
- Examines the effects of stimulation on neuromuscular plasticity and functional recovery and neuromuscular mechanisms of motor control and learning
Taimoor Afzal, PhD, Post-Doctoral Fellow
Vanessa Bernal, CCRP, Research Coordinator
Ruta Paranjape, MS, Research Engineering Assistant
Marcie Kern, PT, Research Physical Therapist
UTHealth and TIRR Collaborators:
John Lincoln, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Neurology
Heather Taylor, PhD, Director of Spinal Cord Injury and Disability Research, TIRR Memorial Hermann
Marcie K. O’Malley, PhD, Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science, Rice University
Jose Contreras-Vidal, PhD, Professor, Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering & Biomedical Engineering, University of Houston
Shih-Chiao Tseng, PT, PhD, Assistant Professor, School of Physical Therapy, Texas Woman’s University Houston
- Wearable robotic systems for rehabilitation and health promotion
- Pharmacologic management of spasticity and neuropathic pain
- Neuromuscular control and plasticity
- Neuromuscular mechanisms in motor control and learning
- Pehlivan AU, Sergi F, Erwin A, Yozbatiran N, Francisco, GE OˇMalley MK. Design and Validation of the RiceWrist-S Exoskeleton for Robotic Rehabilitation After Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury. Robotica (in press)
- Sunnerhagen KS, Francisco GE. Enhancing patient-provider communication for long-term post-stroke spasticity management. Acta Neurol Scand. 2013 Apr 18. doi: 10.1111/ane.12128. (Epub ahead of print) PubMed PMID: 23594079.
- Sunnerhagen KS, Olver J, Francisco GE. Assessing and treating functional impairment in poststroke spasticity. Neurology 2013; 80; S35.
- Francisco GE, Tan HY, Green M. Do Botulinum Toxins Have a Role in the Management of Neuropathic Pain? A Focused Review. Am J PM&R 2012; 91:899-909
- Esquenazi A, Mayer N, Lee S, Brashear A, Elovic E, Francisco GE, Yablon S. PROS Study Group: Patient Registry of Outcomes in Spasticity Care (CME Article). Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2012; 91-00-00.
- Chang SH, Francisco GE, Li S Botulinum Toxin injection improved voluntary motor control in selected patients with post-stroke spasticity. Neural Regeneration Research 2012; 7:1436-1439.
- Yozbatiran N, Berliner J, O’Malley MK, Pehlivan AU, Kadivar Z, Boake C, Francisco GE: Robotic training and clinical assessment of upper extremity movements after spinal cord injury: A single case report. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine: Official Journal of the UEMS European Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2012; 44: 186-8.
- Brainin M, Norrving B, Sunnerhagen KS, Goldstein LB, Cramer SC, Donnan GA, Duncan PW, Francisco G, Good D, Graham G, Kissela BM, Older J, Ward A, Wissel J, Zorowitz R. Poststroke chronic desease management: towards improved identification and interventions for poststroke spasticity-related complications. International Journal of Stroke 8; 42-46, 201
- Eng, D.P.; Kadivar, Z.; Sullivan, J.L.; Pehlivan, A.U.; O’Malley, M.K.; Francisco, G.E.; Yozbatiran, N. Spatial and temporal movement characteristics after robotic training of arm and hand: A case study of a person with incomplete spinal cord injury. 2011 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 1711-1716, Sept. 2011.