Items Requiring MSIT Approval
See Also: Purchase or Lease IT Equipment
The following is a sample list of items that require MSIT consultation and approval before purchase. These lists are not comprehensive, and are subject to occasional revision as policies and conditions change.
Users should always consult with their LAN Manager before purchasing computer equipment, to ensure they are buying equipment designed to meet the task(s) required, and to ensure the equipment can be supported by MSIT.
Items Requiring Lan Manager Approval
The following items require approval by a LAN Manager prior to being purchased.
- Computers (including Desktops, Laptops, Convertible Laptops, AIOs, Workstations, Servers, and Enterprise Class Systems like Mainframes and Miniframes)
[see also Leasing Options for PCs and Macs]
- Tablets (including Samsung Galaxy Tabs and Apple iPads)
- Computer Monitors
- Fax Machines
- Digitizers and Digitizing Tablets (Wacom Tablets, etc.)
- Portable CD, DVD, or Diskette Writers and Drives
- Software or Software Licenses (including Subscriptions, and Smartphone or Tablet Apps)
- USB “Flash” Drives
- Storage Devices, Hard Drives, and SSDs (Internal, External, USB, etc) of any type
- Computer Hardware Upgrades (Memory, Video Cards, etc) and Computer Hardware Replacement Parts
- Keyboards, Mice, Trackballs, Track Pads, and other computer input devices
- Laptop Batteries
- Computer Speakers
- Headsets and Microphones that interface with computers
- Printer Maintenance Kits (including Printer Head Kits, Imaging Units, or Fusers)
- Any other network or USB connected device (group document scanners, etc.)
- All items requiring Special Projects Approval (see next section)
*** Items Requiring Special Projects Approval ***
The following items listed in this category will always require consultation and approval from a LAN Manager, at a minimum.
- Medical Devices capable of storing, processing, or interfacing with a computer system.
- Research Devices capable of storing, processing, or interfacing with a computer system.
- Mobile Telephone Devices.
- Tethering Devices, Mobile Internet Devices (MID), Phone-As-Modem Devices (PAM), or Mobile Hotspots of any type.
- Any computer that cannot be properly encrypted.
The LAN Manager will assist with the order these products. Approval from MSIT, UTP Clinical Technology, IT Security, and/or Telecommunications may be required for some special projects items. Please note that approval for these items sometimes take longer and require multiple signatures.
One should expect it to take 1-4 weeks to approve these sorts of items, depending on the product’s complexity, its intended use, and whether or not it will store or process patient or other confidential data.
All MSIT medical and scientific devices policies defer to the UTHealth Central IT Policy Number ITPOL-035.
Items NOT Requiring MSIT Approval
These items do not require MSIT approval at any level and can be purchased through one’s office supply chain. Be advised, however, that many printers will not support the use of off-brand, reloaded, or refurbished toner or ink cartridges. One should always purchase toner or ink cartridges that are officially approved for use with the printer in question.
- Printer Paper
- Printer Toner or Ink
- Copier Paper or Toner