Kunal Jain, MD
- Assistant Professor
Kunal S. Jain, MD, is an assistant professor in the Department of Otorhinolaryngology. He received his bachelor’s degree in economics at Cornell University, spending his junior year at the London School of Economics and Political Science in the United Kingdom. After earning his medical degree at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, he completed his internship in general surgery and his residency in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery at SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, New York. He joined the faculty of UTHealth and medical staff of Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center after completing a fellowship in head and neck oncology and reconstruction at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.
Dr. Kunal S. Jain is a reviewer for Head and Neck. He has presented nationally and internationally, and has coauthored articles published in Head and Neck, The Laryngoscope, Cancer, and Thyroid and other peer-reviewed journals. His clinical interests include treating patients with head and neck and thyroid cancer and advanced reconstruction and rehabilitation. His research interests include transoral robotic surgery for the oropharynx, and improving outcomes of head and neck surgery procedures.
- Medical School
- The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 2009
- State University of New York Upstate Medical University, 2010
- State University of New York Upstate Medical University, 2014
- University of Pennsylvania, 2015
Areas of Interests
Treating patients with head and neck and thyroid cancer and advanced reconstruction and rehabilitation.
Refereed Original Articles in Journals
- Zevallos JP, Jain KS, Roberts D, Santillan AA, Huh W, Hanna EY, Kupferman ME. Modern multimodality therapy for pediatric nonorbital parameningeal sarcomas. Head Neck. 2010:32(11):1501-5.
- Zevallos JP, Jain KS, Roberts D, El-Naggar A, Hanna EY, Kupferman ME. Sinonasal malignancies in children: a 10-year, single institutional review. Laryngoscope. 2011:121 (9):2001-3.
- Jain KS, Hsu J, Goyal P. The utility of a combined endoscopic and transoral resection of Maxillary Ameloblastoma. International Forum of Allergy and Rhinology. 2013; 3(9):762-5.
- Jain KS, Sikora AG, Baxi SS, Morris LG. Synchronous cancers in patients with head and neck cancer: risks in the era of human papillomavirus associated oropharyngeal cancer. Cancer. 2013; 119(10):1832-7.
- Ho AS, Sarti EE, Jain KS, Wang H, Nixon IJ, Shaha AR, Shah JP, Kraus DH, Ghossein R, Fish SA, Wong RJ, Lin 0, Morris LG. Malignancy rate in thyroid nodules classified as Bethesda category Ill (AUS/FLUS). Thyroid. 2014; 24 (5):832-9.
- Jain KS, Goyal P. Endoscopic resection of maxillary odontogenic cysts. International Forum of Allergy and Rhinology 2015:5(7):602-4.
- Marti JL, Jain KS, Morris LG. Increased risk of second primary malignancy in pediatric and young adult patients treated with radioactive iodine for differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid 2015: 25(6):681-7.
- Bigcas J, Jain KS. Management of parapharyngeal and retropharyngeal space infections. Operative techniques in Otolaryngology 2017, in press
- Jain KS, Weinstein GS, Omalley BW, Newman J. Robotic Surgery Training. Atlas of Robotic Surgery in Otolaryngology, Gil, Springer, 2017.
- Jain KS. Neck masses. Grand rounds, Department of Family Medicine, UT Health, September 2016
- Jain KS. TORS for the unknown primary. UTHealth Otorhinolaryngology 2016 Frontiers, June 2016.
- Jain KS. Update on HPV-associated cancer. Texas Hill Country ENT Symposium, April 2016.
- Jain KS. Minimally invasive surgery in head and neck cancer. Grand Rounds, Department of Otolaryngology, Upstate Medical University, March 2014.
- Jain KS. Surgical Margins in head and neck cancer. Grand Rounds, Department of Otolaryngology, Upstate Medical University, October 2013.
- Jain KS. Neuromonitoring in Otolaryngology. Grand Rounds, Department of Otolaryngology, Upstate Medical University, June 2013.
- Jain KS. Complications of endoscopic sinus surgery. Grand Rounds, Department of Otolaryngology, Upstate Medical University, October 2012.
- Jain KS. Synchronous primaries in head and neck cancer. Grand Rounds, Department of Otolaryngology, Upstate Medical University, June 2012.
- Jain KS. Human papillomavirus and oropharyngeal cancer. Grand Rounds, Department of Otolaryngology, Upstate Medical University, November 2011.
- Jain KS. Management of the neck in well differentiated thyroid cancer. Grand Rounds, Department of Otolaryngology, Upstate Medical University, January 2011.
- Jain KS, Sikora AG, Liu JC, Morris LG. Risk of second primary malignancy in survivors of retinoblastoma. Poster Presentation at American Head and Neck Society Annual Meeting at Combined Otolaryngology Society Meetings, April 2013; Orlando, FL
- Jain KS, Goyal P. Endoscopic surgical treatment of maxillary odontogenic cysts. Poster Presentation at American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Annual Meeting, September 2012; Washington, DC.
- Jain KS, Goyal P. Endoscopic resection of maxillary ameloblastoma. Poster Presentation at Triological Society Combined Sections Meeting, January 2012; Miami Beach, FL.
- Jain KS, Doxtader E, Hsu J. Post radiation neck dissection in patients with oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma stratified by p16 Status and its future use as selection criteria for neck dissection. Oral Presentation at 8th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer, July 2012; Toronto, ON, Canada.
- Jain KS, Hsu J. Multiple synchronous primaries in HPV positive oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. Poster Presentation at 8th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer, July 2012; Toronto, ON, Canada.