Zhen “Jane” Huang, MD, MBA
- Assistant Professor
713-500-5410 (admin office)
Zhen “Jane” Huang, MD, is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Otorhinolaryngology. She was born in southern China and moved to Dallas, Texas, when she was seven years old. She remains fluent in Mandarin Chinese. After graduating Valedictorian, Dr. Zhen Huang continued her education at Dartmouth College as a Presidential Scholar and majored in psychology. She obtained a combined M.D./M.B.A. degree from Dartmouth as a recipient of the Dr. Hampers Leaders in Healthcare Scholarship. She interned as a consultant for a biomedical firm and in her spare time, she also volunteered for a free community clinic and taught girls dance. She also has taught English in China and conducted art workshops for high school students in the Navajo Nation.
After spending almost a decade in New England, Dr. Zhen Huang returned to Texas and completed residency in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine. She then went on to complete a fellowship in Pediatric Otolaryngology at Children’s National in Washington, D.C. Not only has she published articles in multiple peer-reviewed journals and presented at national meetings for her specialty, she also has a strong interest in improving healthcare delivery and population health. Her clinical interests are broad and include sleep-disordered breathing, congenital neck masses, open and endoscopic pediatric airway, chronic ear disorders and hearing loss, as well as pediatric voice disorders.
- Medical School
- Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, 2010
- Baylor College of Medicine, 2015
- Children's National Medical Center, 2016
Areas of Interest
Broad and include sleep-disordered breathing, congenital neck masses, open and endoscopic pediatric airway, chronic ear disorders and hearing loss, as well as pediatric voice disorders
- Chatterjee A, Huang Z, Finlayson, S. Do higher paying surgical specialties create greater competition for residency positions? Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 209(3S): S115, 2009.
- Singh, S, Tokhunts, R, Baubet, V, Goetz, JA, Huang, Z, Schilling, NS, Black, KE, MacKenzie, TA, Dahmane, NA, and Robbins, DJ. Sonic Hedgehog mutations identified in holoprosencephaly patients can act in a dominant negative manner. Human Genetics. 125(1):95-103, 2009.
- Tokhunts, R, Singh, S, Chu, T, D’Angelo, G, Baubet, V, Goetz, JA, Huang, Z, Yuan, Z, Ascano, M, Zavros, Y, Thérond, PP, Kunes, S, Dahmane, N, and Robbins, DJ. The full-length unprocessed hedgehog protein is an active signaling molecule. J Biol Chem. 285(4):2562-2568, 2010.
- Sidorsky, T, Huang, Z, Dinulos, JG. A business case for shared medical appointments in dermatology: Improving access and the bottom line. Archives of Dermatology. 146(4):374-381, 2010.
- Larrier, DR, Huang, Z, Zhang, W, McHugh, CH, Brock, L, Reddy, SC. Is routine pre-operative cardiac evaluation necessary in obese children undergoing adenotonsillectomy for OSA? American Journal of Otolaryngology. 36(6):744-747, 2015.
- Huang, Z. Guffey, D, Minard, CG, Friedman, EM. Outcomes variability in esophageal foreign body removal: Is daytime removal better? International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. 79(10):1630-3, 2015.
- Duah, V, Huang, Z, Val, S, DeMason, C, Poley, M, Preciado, D. Younger patients with COME are more likely to have mucoid middle ear fluid containing mucin MUC5B. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. 90:133-137, 2016.
- Huang, Z, Ashraf, M, Gordish-Dressman, H, Mudd, PA. The financial impact of clinic no-show rates in an academic pediatric otolaryngology practice. American Journal of Otolaryngology. 38(2):127-129, 2017.
- Huang, Z, Vintzileos, W, Gordish-Dressman, H, Bandarkar, A, Reilly, BK. Pediatric peritonsillar abscess: Outcomes and cost savings from using transcervical ultrasound. Laryngoscope. 127(8):1924-1929, 2017.
- Froehlich, MH, Huang, Z, Reilly, BK. Utilization of ultrasound for diagnostic evaluation and management of peritonsillar abscesses. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 25(2):163-168, 2017.
- Huang, Z, Gordish-Dressman, H, Preciado, D, Reilly, BK. Pediatric cochlear implantation: Variation in income, race, payer, and charges across five states. Laryngoscope. 128(4):954-958, 2018.
- Mikals, SJ, Huang, Z, Reilly, BK, Monfared, A. Iatrogenic external auditory canal stenosis induced by silver nitrate. Ear Nose Throat J. 97(4-5):E39-E40, 2018.
- Fonseca, ACG, Engelhardt, MI, Huang, Z, Jiang, ZY, Yuksel, S, Roy, S. Effect of changing postoperative pain management on bleeding rates in tonsillectomy patients. Am J Otolaryngology. 39(4):445-447, 2018.
- Ting, J, Roy, S, Navuluri, S, Hanfland, R, Mulcahy, L, Yuksel, S, Huang, Z, Jiang, ZY. Airway evaluation in children with single ventricle cardiac physiology. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngology. 111:115-118, 2018.
- Esianor, B, Jiang, ZY, Yuksel, S, Roy, S, Huang, Z. Pediatric tracheostomies in patients less than 2 Years of age: Analysis of complications and long-term follow-up. American Journal of Otolaryngology. 41(2), 2019.
- Eguia, A, Jiang, ZY, Yuksel, S, Roy, S, Huang, Z. Comparing operating room efficiency in children undergoing adenotonsillectomy with traditional endotracheal intubation versus laryngeal mask airway and stretcher utilization. Pending submission. 2020.
- Management of Thyroglossal Duct Cysts, Department of Otolaryngology-HNS, Baylor College of Medicine, 10/2011.
- Management of Epistaxis in Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia, Department of Otolaryngology-HNS, Baylor College of Medicine, 3/2012.
- Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Department of Otolaryngology-HNS, Baylor College of Medicine, 5/2012.
- Rhinophyma, Department of Otolaryngology-HNS, Baylor College of Medicine, 7/2012.
- Pediatric Oropharyngeal Trauma, Department of Otolaryngology-HNS, Baylor College of Medicine, 12/2012.
- Management of Middle Ear Myoclonus, Department of Otolaryngology-HNS, Baylor College of Medicine, 4/2013.
- A Case of Sinonasal Paraganglioma, Department of Otolaryngology-HNS, Baylor College of Medicine, 8/2013.
- Obamacare: What, Why, and How, Department of Otolaryngology-HNS, Baylor College of Medicine, 1/2014.
- Considerations in Pediatric Facial Fractures. Department of Otolaryngology-HNS, Baylor College of Medicine, 1/2015.
- Considerations of Cost-Effectiveness in Pediatric Otolaryngology and Beyond, Guest Speaker at UTHealth Department of Otorhinolaryngology Grand Rounds, 12/2015.
- Oropharyngeal Impalement Injury in Children, Guest Speaker at UTHealth Otorhinolaryngology Fall Seminar, 12/2016.
- Should Body Mass Index determine preoperative cardiac workup for pediatric patients with OSA undergoing adenotonsillectomy? AAO-HNSF Conference, Vancouver, BC. 9/2013.
- Outcomes variability in esophageal foreign body removal: Is daytime removal better? ASPO Conference, Las Vegas, NV. 5/2014.
- Outcomes in the management of middle ear myoclonus. Triological Society Conference, Boston, MA. 4/2015.
- Younger Patients with COME Are More Likely to Have Mucoid Middle Ear Fluid Containing Predominantly Mucin MUC5B. SENTAC Conference, San Antonio, TX. 12/2015.
- Case Report: Endoscopic cauterization of a fourth branchial cleft sinus tract with intraoperative ultrasound guidance. ASPO Conference, Chicago, IL. 5/2016.
- Pediatric Peritonsillar Abscess: Outcomes from the Use of Ultrasound, Podium Presentation, AAO-HNSF Conference, San Diego, CA. 9/2016.
- Pediatric Cochlear Implantation: Disparities Across Five States, Podium Presentation, AAO-HNSF Conference, San Diego, CA. 9/2016.
- The financial impact of clinic no-show rates in an academic pediatric otolaryngology practice, SENTAC Conference, Orlando, FL. 12/2016.
- Pediatric Cochlear Implantation: Variation in Income, Race, Payer, and Charges across Five States, Selected Panel Speaker at the Innovation in Health Care Delivery Systems Symposium, McCombs School of Business, Austin, Texas, 4/2017.
- Assessment of Nursing and Respiratory Therapist Experience and Caregiver Comfort in Caring for Tracheostomized Children. SENTAC Conference, Toronto, Canada. 12/2017.
- Airway Evaluation in Children with Single Ventricle Cardiac Physiology. Triological Society Conference, Scottsdale, AZ. 1/2018.
- Effect of Changing Postoperative Management on Bleeding Rates in Tonsillectomy Patients: An Institutional Review. Triological Society Conference, Scottsdale, AZ. 1/2018.
- Pediatric Tracheostomies in Patients Less than 2 Years of Age: Analysis of Complications and Long-term Follow-up. ASPO Conference, National Harbor, MD. 4/2018.
- Supernumerary Nostril with Other Abnormalities. SENTAC Conference, Houston, TX. 11/2018.
- Comparing Operating Room Efficiency in Children Undergoing Adenotonsillectomy with Traditional Endotracheal Intubation versus Laryngeal Mask Airway and Stretcher Utilization. Podium Presentation, ASPO Conference, Austin, TX. 5/2019.