In Memoriam: Cathy Doughty

Catherine Doughty
Catherine Doughty

Catherine Doughty, former DMO for the Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, died Friday, May 24, 2024. She was 65.

She earned her bachelor’s of arts degree in economics from the University of California, Los Angeles and completed a master’s degree in biomedical informatics from UTHealth Houston. She joined the Medical School staff in 2008 and retired in November of 2023.

Her colleagues recalled her kindness, positive attitude, and determination.

“She worked tirelessly to ensure that the department and each of us were successful. She approached even the most difficult challenges with determination and optimism.  I am so grateful for the support that she gave me for so many years,” said Susan John, MD, chair of the Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Imaging and the John S. Dunn Distinguished Chair in Radiology.

“I worked with Cathy for 15 years, and she always answered my calls enthusiastically ‘Hey Jules,’” recalled Julie Page, senior associate dean for Clinical Business Affairs. “I can still hear her voice, and I will miss her. She was a positive person with lots of energy.

“We talked often trying to find solutions on numerous issues and in the end, it was all ok. She loved her family and her work; may she rest in peace.”

“I had worked with Cathy over the last 15 years specifically regarding LBJ,” remembered Joe Hasapes, MD, associate professor of radiology. “She always had a ‘can do’ attitude and made me feel that no problem was too big to solve. She would remind me that the work we did at LBJ was a higher calling and that dealing with frustration was to be expected. She always did what she felt was in the best interests for UT DII, whether it was in discussions or meetings with Harris Health. She definitely had our back and was a strong supporter. I am very saddened and will miss her deeply.”

Cathy was always an uplifting presence and a strong supporter and advocate of the residency,” said Emma Ferguson, MD, professor and program director, Diagnostic Radiology Residency Program. “She was a dear friend, and she will be dearly missed. Her strength, energy, and enthusiasm were an inspiration.”

“She was a wonderful colleague,” said Cihan Duran, MD, associate professor of radiology. “Her contributions to the radiology team were invaluable, I will remember her determination and kindness. How fortunate she is to be remembered so beautifully by everyone who got to experience her presence and friendship in this life. She will be missed.”

She is survived by her children: Stephanie, Tommie, and stepdaughter Trudy; dog Bailey; three siblings; and numerous cousins.

A memorial service will be at 10:30 am, Saturday, June 15 at Faith Lutheran Church (4600 Bellaire Blvd, Bellaire, TX 77401).