Winners for the 5th Annual Clinical Science Program Research Forum
April 24, 2018
A big congratulations to all participants in this year’s Clinical Science Program Research Forum that took place on the morning of March 23rd. Each presentation consisted of a five minute presentation and two minute discussion presented by each of the University of Texas, McGovern Medical School, Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery research team members. Outlined below is each presenter and their chosen topic:
1. Dr. Akiko Tanaka: Preoperative Sarcopenia Portends Worse Outcomes After Descending Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm Repair
2. Ms. Amberly Ray: SAFE: Strategy for Active Follow-up Evaluation – From Conceptualization to Execution
3. Dr. Sophia Khan: Fewer Complications with Smaller Incisions in Anterolateral Spine Exposures.
4. Mr. Samuel Leake: Predictive and Prognostic Risk Factors of Renal Failure in Acute Aortic Dissection
5. Dr. Juan Umana: Del Nido versus Blood Cardioplegia in Isolated Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery with Left Ventricular Dysfunction
6. Mr. Ernst Trinh: Intercostal Artery Management in Thoracoabdominal Aortic Surgery: To reattach or not to reattach?
7. Dr. Hunter Ray: Predictors of Outcome in Infrainguinal Bypass for Trauma
First place award and a gift card of $125 has been granted to two of the participants – Dr. Sophia Khan and Hunter Ray. Second place and a gift card $100 was awarded to Dr. Akiko Tanaka.
Congratulations to the winners and everyone that participated! A special thank you to the judges panel. We look forward to next year’s event!
-Caliann Ferguson, UT Physicians