How to Apply for Fellowship
We accept applications for our Pediatrics Infectious Diseases Fellowship program through the Electronic Fellowship Application Service (ERAS). Applicants seeking to transfer into our program after previous training in another U.S. Infectious Disease programs should contact the program director directly.
We require the following documents of all applicants:
- Curriculum vitae (a.k.a. common application in ERAS)
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation
- Medical school transcript
- Dean’s letter/medical school performance evaluation
- Color photo
- Personal statement
- USMLE transcript (or COMLEX transcript, if applicable)
- ECFMG status report(if applicable)
Complete applications for the 2021-2022 academic year submitted through ERAS must be received by November 1, 2020.
Requirements: Individuals who have been accepted into the fellowship program must meet the following requirements before they are permitted to begin their Fellowship program.
- Educational requirements: one of the following
- Graduate from a medical school in the United States or Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)
- Graduate from a medical school outside the United States or Canada and meet one of the following qualifications:
- Have a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates(ECFMG)
- Have a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a U.S. licensing jurisdiction
- Graduate from a medical school outside of the United States and complete a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school
- VISA requirement for non-US citizens without permanent resident status: have an ECFMG-sponsored J-1visaThe J-1 visa is the only visa that UTMS-H sponsors for fellows. Fellowship programs at the University of Texas Houston Medical School are unable to sponsor H1-B visas for incoming residents. Follow the “Prospective Residents and Fellows” link on the UTMS-H Residents webpage for the official University policy on H1-B visa sponsorship. More detailed information on visa requirements may be obtained from the Office of International Affairs at 713-500-3176.
- Examination requirement: pass USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS (or the COMPLEX equivalents, if applicable)
- Criminal background check requirement: pass
- Institutional permit requirement: be issued an institutional training permit by the Texas Medical Board
- Transfer requirement: written verification of previous educational experiences and a summative competency-based performance evaluation (this must be submitted by the prior residency program)