COVID-19; a professional and personal testimony

May 20, 2020

Similar to the experiences of most others, the COVID-19 pandemic has caused me to make many adjustments in my personal and professional life. Professionally, I have been challenged with adjusting to working from home, adapting evidence-based treatments as a psychologist to Zoom therapy sessions, and amending my work routine.  Yet despite the challenges, this has also been a fulfilling opportunity to be creative in how we deliver services and support.

As a psychologist at the Student Counseling Services Clinic, I have been very fortunate that all of my patients have been able to easily transition to teletherapy and telehealth services. We have been fully operational while working remotely and have extended our outreach mission to include virtual outreach videos and programming for students during this unprecedented time.

As a faculty member within the department, this pandemic has also prompted development of new opportunities to support our educational and wellness missions. In consultation with the department’s Directors of Residency Training and the Wellness Committee, I have developed a COVID-19 peer support group series currently being offered to our department’s residents, fellows, and interns virtually. In co-facilitation with several upper-level psychiatry residents, we will have offered three optional peer support groups, offered once weekly during May, that each targeted a unique challenge during this pandemic. From personal adjustment, to professional adjustment, and finding balance among these two, these groups have been an opportunity for residents, fellows, and interns to decompress during the pandemic, support one another during this difficult time, improve well-being, and develop skills to thrive during these heightened levels of stress. These groups have addressed topics such as adapting and adjusting to the pandemic, adapting to changes in productivity, and thriving professionally in isolation and avoiding burnout, all while fostering social support among peers.

Co-facilitating these groups has been a pleasure to me and has been something I look forward to weekly! I have enjoyed witnessing the camaraderie, support, and mutual wisdom exchanged during these group sessions. They have been confidential and casual, and I believe they have served as a supportive and educational outlet for our amazing residents, fellows, and interns during these trying times.

Personally, COVID-19 has caused me to also be more okay and accepting to the now. As an extrovert, being apart from friends and loved ones for more than two months has been a challenge. In a matter of days, my world shrunk considerably and many of my most effective coping strategies became either limited or no longer accessible. Not only have I had to adapt to working from home, but I have also had to adapt these coping strategies during the past two months. Some personal ways I have been coping through the pandemic include:

• Exercise: Not having a commute means that I can now enjoy a walk with my dog before settling down in my home office to see patients virtually, and promptly after the work day ends.
  • Cooking: Something I have always enjoyed, has now become more creative and resourceful (in the midst of often less than usual stock at supermarkets).
  • Reading: I now have the time (and lack of an excuse) to finally read again for pleasure. As a millennial who appreciates all things electronic, I never knew that the Harris County Public Library lent out eBooks that get transferred directly to your Kindle!
  • Virtual travels: I have enjoyed taking virtual trips to bucket list places I have been meaning to travel to.
  • Connecting with other: I have adjusted the way I connect with friends and loved ones by partaking in more Zoom and FaceTime social gatherings.
  • Developing structure: And, consistent with the skills I preach to my patients, I have been trying to establish more structure in my life by reorganizing areas in my house.

Despite having adjusted to the COVID-19 limitations, I am, as I am sure all others are too, greatly looking forward to getting back to a sense of normalcy!