Child Psychiatric Access Network (CPAN)
CPAN is a network of child psychiatry access centers staffed by child psychiatrists who will provide pediatricians and primary care providers with live telephone case consultation as well as training opportunities related to common child mental health concerns. The Faillace Dept of Psychiatry acts as one of the state’s 12 regional CPAN hubs.
Why enroll in the UTHealth Houston Child Psychiatry Access Network (CPAN)?
- Children are more likely to first visit with their Primary Care Physician or Pediatrician when they are experiencing a mental health concern.
- Due to a workforce shortage, there may be a delay before a child or adolescent is seen by a specialist in child psychiatry.
- The UTHealth Houston Child Psychiatry Access Network (CPAN) takes a peer learning approach to providing care for children and adolescents with mental health concerns.
How does calling the Child Psychiatry Access Network (CPAN) improve access to care?
- Parents are likely to first present to their trusted pediatrician or family doctor when they have concerns about their child’s mental health or behavior.
- Due to a child psychiatry workforce shortage, the average wait to get in to see a child psychiatrist is 8 weeks in suburban areas and this can be much longer in rural or more underserved areas.
- The Child Psychiatry Access Network (CPAN) takes a peer learning approach to support pediatricians and family doctors who are either providing interim care for children waiting on an appointment with a child psychiatrist or who are providing for the care of children with mild to moderate mental health concerns whose condition may not require direct care by a specialist in child psychiatry.
How can I benefit from participation in the Child Psychiatry Access Network (CPAN)?
- Participants in the UTHealth Houston CPAN program are also eligible to participate in our Project ECHO Pediatric Prescribers which provides for Maintenance of Certification Continuing Medical Education credits
- For more information specific to Project ECHO click here
How to enroll in the UTHealth Houston Child Psychiatry Access Network (CPAN)?
- Please complete this brief form
- You will receive an email requesting that you enter the name of the practice and the providers that will be using CPAN. You are able to enroll MDs, DOs, PAs, NPs, Resident, and clinic contact staff.
- For larger practices, we are able to assist in getting providers entered into the system.
- Enrollment is free and takes less than 10 minutes. Once you are enrolled you can begin using the program immediately.
- If you have other questions about the program, please reach out to us at 713-486-2726 (CPAN)