Summer student recognized in science talent search

By Darla Brown, Office of Communications

Samantha Milewicz - Regeneron Science Talent Search
Samantha Milewicz, 17, works in the lab of Charles Cox, MD, during a summer visiting scholar program.

A high school senior participating in the Department of Pediatric Surgery’s trauma visiting scholar program recently was named a finalist in the Regeneron Science Talent Search for her research project, Selective Inhibition of Matrix Metalloproteinase-9 Attenuates Traumatic Brain Injury-Mediated Blood-Brain Barrier Disruption in a Novel Dynamic in vitro Model.

Samantha Milewicz, 17, from Byram Hills High School in Armonk, New York, spent six weeks shadowing and performing research in the lab of Charles Cox Jr, MD, professor of pediatric surgery, George and Cynthia Mitchell Distinguished Chair in Neurosciences, and Glassell Family Distinguished Chair.

As a result of her work in the Cox lab, Milewicz was selected as one of 40 finalists in the 82th Regeneron Science Talent Search out of nearly 2,000 applicants. Each finalist receives $25,000 and will compete in March in Washington, DC for the top 10 spots, with award amounts up to $250,000.

“She was our first ever high school student integrated into one of our lab programs,” Cox said. “I was initially approached by her and her teacher in a random email. I wasn’t interested in hosting a high school student, but Samantha wouldn’t take no for an answer.”

Milewicz said she found Cox during her search for a mentor as part of her high school’s three-year science research program.

“Initially, I was interested in studying the use of stem cells to treat traumatic brain injuries and was drawn to Dr. Cox’s work on the subject after reading several of his publications,” she said. “During our initial conversation in February 2021, he mentioned the novel platform of the blood-brain barrier his lab group developed, and I was immediately intrigued. My topic then transitioned to focus on this area of traumatic brain injuries.”

Cox said he was convinced to let Milewicz join the lab for the summer once she explained her motivation.

“The only reason I said yes was because she said she wanted to be a neurosurgeon and learn everything she could about the brain and neurotrauma,” he said. “It wasn’t the usual answer of doing something just to get to the next step. She has her eye way down the road – not typical for a 16-year-old.”

Milewicz and her family moved to Houston for the summer so that Milewicz could be an active participant in the lab. As her first exposure to hands-on research, she said it was the “best experience” she could have imagined.

“Not only was I able to learn technical lab skills, such as Western blots and qPCR and shadow Dr. Cox at Children’s Memorial Hermann, which further fueled my aspirations to become a surgeon, but I also developed a network of mentors sharing my passion for neurotrauma critical care,” Milewicz explained. “Though at times there were obstacles regarding my project, I greatly improved my problem solving and critical thinking skills, and I look forward to applying them in the future, if Dr. Cox is willing to have me back.”

The Regeneron finalists were chosen based on their projects’ scientific rigor and their potential to become world-changing scientific leaders. Past winners of the talent search include 13 Nobel Prize winners and 22 recipients of the MacArthur Foundation Fellowship.

“When I received the call that I was selected as a finalist, I was actually on a lab meeting with the group in the middle of presenting!” Milewicz recalled. “I am honored that the important findings and dedication to my research were recognized. I am really looking forward to Finals Week in Washington, DC at the beginning of March to both share my research and learn from my fellow finalists.”

Milewicz has her sights set on her future career path.

“During undergrad, I hope to pursue my passion for research. I plan to continue working in a laboratory researching traumatic brain injuries as well as other neurocognitive disorders,” she said. “At home in New York, I am a volunteer EMT, and this experience has only reassured and intensified my interest in medicine. In college, I plan to continue volunteering throughout my pre-med education. Following in the footsteps of Dr. Cox, I hope to become a clinician-scientist.”

In addition to competition in the Regneron finalist program in March, Milewicz will be presenting her research in February at the Academic Surgical Congress meeting in Houston.

“Her research was accepted for a full oral presentation at the meeting. I want to emphasize this work is truly her work,” Cox said. “We’re really proud that she’s been able to be so successful.”

Milewicz said the summer research program was truly life-changing.

“I am immensely grateful to Dr. Cox, Dr. Bolden, with whom I worked closely in the lab, and the rest of the group. They are the reason for my love of research and positive experience this summer,” she said.

The Regeneron Science Talent Search, a program of Society for Science since 1942, is the nation’s oldest science and math competition for high school seniors.