Women in Medicine & Sciences Feature: Cindy Ivanhoe, MD

By Roman Petrowski, Office of Communications

Dr. Cindy Ivahoe

Each month, the Women Faculty Forum presents its Women in Medicine and Sciences Feature, highlighting the women faculty at McGovern Medical School who are leaders in medicine, research, and education.

This month’s feature is Cindy Ivanhoe, MD, professor in the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.

What is your background? When did you join UTHealth Houston?
I grew up in Brooklyn, NY, went to Sarah Lawrence College, and concentrated in music. I worked for Columbia Artists Management, Inc. (CAMI) which is not there anymore, in New York City. After graduation, I realized that I really did wish to go to medical school, so on somewhat of a whim, I left the country. There is some back story to that. I went to the Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara, and no, I did not speak Spanish when I started.

What inspired you to pursue a career in science and medicine?
I wanted my life to have meaning and be a better person by giving back.

What are your primary clinical and/or research interests?
I am interested in all medical aspects of brain injury with a particular expertise in the upper motor neuron syndrome, which includes but is not limited to, spasticity, dystonia rehabilitations, and the interplay of social determinants of health.

What do you enjoy most about working at UTHealth Houston?
I appreciate the focus on education and teaching. There is so much going on within UTHealth Houston that it is difficult to enumerate and keep track of all the opportunities to participate.

How do you think UTHealth Houston can further support female faculty?
I think the world can support female faculty by understanding that we practice differently and have a tendency to devote efforts to things that are intangible – that do not generate RVUs – but have value. Perhaps someday then, we won’t need to make the distinction.