Newest Faces of McGovern: Shea Silhan-Maxey

By Roman Petrowski, Office of Communications

Shea Silhan-Maxey
Shea Silhan-Maxey

What inspired you to want to pursue a career in medicine?
While working toward my goal of being a world-ranked athlete in gymnastics/trampoline, I stumbled upon a new dream. He couldn’t have known, but this second dream was nurtured by the same man that gave life to my first: my coach. He not only trained me but took care of me when my father’s mental health declined. He built me into an athlete of his own caliber and became an inspiring figure who fostered my interest in medicine. During those difficult months, I saw rural patients struggling to get the support they needed, and I saw that, for many, help had come too late.

Advocating for health equity, mental health awareness, and helping children in positions like mine became a passion of mine from a young age and still drives me today. In medicine, I found an intersect between my passion for gymnastics, the biomechanics of musculature and strength, and commitment to the betterment of the human condition. The events that unfolded became my inspiration, but once I started volunteering and working in healthcare, medicine became a passion in itself.

Why did you choose McGovern Medical School?
After moving to Louisiana for gymnastics and attending undergrad, I knew I wanted to return to my home state, Texas, for medical school. The Texas Medical Center has not only expansive opportunities but a diverse population that lends it an advantage over similar institutions. Specifically, McGovern Medical School’s interview day cemented the choice for me. I could see how passionate and thriving the medical students were, and I knew I wanted to be a part of something that could inspire me in the same way.

What motivates you?
As an athlete and student, I have always been very goal-oriented, but it has never been about the goals themselves; rather, I benefit most from the drive it gives me every day. The moment I achieve one goal, I’m already working on the next. I wake up and go the extra mile, but I also run home to my husband and family with whom I wouldn’t be able to do it without. I want to make those I love proud, while also helping the world which has afforded me so much grace and opportunity for the next generation.

Who is your hero?
Many of my heroes have never been in the limelight. My first hero was my gymnastics coach, and while he inspired and trained many athletes to the highest level, many will not know the strength of his compassion. I am constantly inspired by the strength and will of my peers. I’ve never thought about heroes in the abstract; my biggest heroes are my inspiring mentors and my peers who are “in the trenches” with me, so to speak.

What is your ultimate goal for your career in medicine?
In 2023, many are discouraged about the capacity of one person to affect real change, but I am also surrounded by many inspiring students trying to do just that. It is the summation of these small efforts that produce a healthy society. I want to make real changes and advancements, by doing what I can, which is being a good physician and getting care to those for whom adequate care is denied.

What kind of emotions do you feel as you’re ready to begin medical school?
I have so much excitement, but the anticipation of not knowing how to prepare is also difficult. However, I recently just met my MS2 buddy, and she has eased my nerves with the inspirational stories of her first year. I also just have a sense of relief and happiness in knowing this is where I’ve been working to be for so long.

What are you looking forward to most about medical school?
One of my favorite hobbies is drawing and painting. When I first took anatomy during undergrad, I found a way to combine my passion for biology/medicine with art. Therefore, I am excited to start anatomy. Although I have heard how challenging it is, I am ready to be challenged. I am also greatly looking forward to being fully immersed in the vast subject of medicine and discovering which aspects of medicine appeal to me most. Lastly, I am also excited to be surrounded by McGovern’s incredible students, all working toward the same goal as myself.

If you had to pick a medical specialty right now, what would it be and why?
Every facet of medicine has inspired me, and I keep finding something new that interests me. Working with kids throughout undergrad has made me want to specialize in a pediatric discipline. Even on the worst days, getting a kid to smile feels like a major accomplishment. However, as a gymnast, the mechanics of orthopedic surgery have long piqued my interest. I’m excited to see where I end up in four years.

To meet all of the Newest Faces of McGovern Medical School, click here.