How to Apply
Welcome to the 2023-2024 Interview Season!
For the 2023-2024 interview season, we have made a few adjustments to our interview process. We hope these changes will reduce the burden and stress on applicants while maintaining our commitment to equity.
– Applications will be reviewed holistically, which means no one will be excluded simply because of a single score, school, country of origin, etc. We will evaluate each applicant based on the features we have observed to predict 1) success in our program and 2) contribution to the mission of our institution. Both of these factors are considered in the context of competitiveness with our overall applicant pool.
– Our program strongly encourages all applicants to utilize the supplemental information/signaling portion within the AAMC’s MyERAS application. The additional information collected will help our program learn more about applicants’ medical education journey and will help us better identify applicants who fit our program environment and mission. Programs will begin viewing all portions of the application on September 27th.
– We are a large program with many observerships and rotations, so interested applicants should send us a signal regardless of their previous relationship with our institution. Signal preference will be incorporated as part of our holistic review, and will not be the sole factor on which interview decisions are made.
– Your interview day will be spent getting to know how special McGovern is in a small group setting with the program director, faculty, and residents. This will allow you to interact with us and one another, and have all your questions answered!
– If we have further questions regarding an applicant that couldn’t be answered during the interview day, we may reach out later for details. However, post-interview communication, second looks, visits to Houston, etc. on the part of the applicant are not expected, encouraged, or tracked. Please don’t overanalyze. We know it is a stressful process, but remember that we would not have interviewed you if we weren’t already very impressed!
- Applications are only accepted through ERAS. Please do not mail, fax or email any information, it will not be incorporated into your file. Letters/emails of interest will not be considered–all preference signaling should happen through the ERAS supplemental application unless you are a couples match applicant.
- Deadline for submitting your application is December 31, but most interview offers will be extended in October and November.
- We only sponsor J-1 visas. We cannot sponsor H-1b visas.
- All applicants must meet credentialing requirements of our hospitals (e.g., COVID vaccines, Flu vaccines, etc.)
- All applicants must take a scored licensing exam to be ranked. All applicants should take USMLE or COMLEX Part 2 by December 31st
- Minimum Letter Requirements:
- Dean’s Letter from your Medical School (MSPE)
- Letter from your Department Chairman or designate (Vice-Chair for Education or the Clerkship Director letter is acceptable)
- 2 additional Letters of Recommendation
- International Graduates should have at least 3 months of US clinical experience, which includes observerships. This requirement is flexible given the COVID pandemic.
- The program participates in the couples match. Please let us know if your partner has received an interview at our institution and you haven’t heard from us.
- There is no minimum score on USMLE, but we rarely interview applicants who have not passed all steps on the first attempt.
- We prefer recent medical school graduates, who perform better in our fast-paced program. We cannot consider applicants who graduated more than 5 years in the past.
- If your application is selected for an invitation to interview, you will be contacted via email. All applications submitted through ERAS will be reviewed.
- Document requirements for International Medical Graduates may be found here. Please do not bring or mail your documents until the Interview Day.
We offer the following programs:
Internal Medicine (ACGME Accreditation # 140-48-31-423):
Categorical NRMP Program Code: 2923140C0
Preliminary NRMP Program Code: 2923140P0