About Lactation Consultants
What is an IBCLC?
IBCLC stands for International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant. An IBCLC is a member of the maternal-child healthcare team with specialized skills in breastfeeding care and management. The IBCLC credential is the highest certification and the only internationally recognized credential in the field of lactation. Research has shown improved breastfeeding outcomes when mothers and infants receive the services of IBCLCs. Only the IBCLC credential denotes certification in lactation consultation.
IBCLCs are qualified to:
- Work directly with breastfeeding families
- Manage a wide range of breastfeeding problems
- Collaborate with all members of the health care team
- Advocate for a social environment that supports breastfeeding families
- Educate families, health professionals, and policy makers about the life-long health benefits of breastfeeding
- Focus on health maintenance and disease prevention
- Empower parents to establish their own infant feeding goals by identifying evidenced-based strategies to achieve them
The International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE) has established rigorous prerequisites to sit for the certifying exam. More information about the IBCLC certification can be found here.
The above information has been adapted from the USLCA handout entitled “IBCLCs Make the Difference.”
How can we help?
Our consultants can help with things like:
- Difficulty latching
- Nipple pain
- Cracked nipples
- Tongue & Lip Tie
- Low milk supply
- Poor milk transfer
- Infant weight concerns
- and more!
We can also provide reassurance when things are going well.
To schedule an appointment, please call us at 713-500-2800 (option 1).