Our program is heavily subscribed and we reserve the right to limit our review of applications that meet the following criteria:
The application deadline through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) for PGY1 2023-2024 is Deadline December 1, 2022.
Interview season is late October to early January. No paper applications are accepted. Only ERAS applications are accepted. We recommend you submit your application with supporting documents as early as possible.
If candidates are not selected for an interview, they will not be contacted. Due to the high volume of qualified residency applications, we are unable to respond to every candidate.
- Only online ERAS application
- Passing scores on the USMLE or COMLEX within 3 attempts, 1 attempt is preferred
- Medical school transcript
- A minimum of three references. One must be from a Primary Care physician
- Graduation from medical school within the last 5 years
- USMLE or COMLEX Transcript: we require that all applicants pass Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS exams prior to starting residency. Your application will be strengthened by successfully completing your USMLE Step 2 CK testing early and having scores uploaded to ERAS by your interview date
- US Medical School Graduates: Step 1 transcript is required with application submission. Step 2 transcript is due prior to ranking
- International Medical School Graduates: Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS transcripts are required with the application
Guidelines for International Medical Graduates (IMG)
- IMG requirements are the same as US graduates
- Eligible for licensure in Texas
- ECFMG certified (if an applicant is still in medical school, must be ECFMG certified by June 1st)
- Must be eligible for employment in the United States on July 1st of the year of The Match
- IMGs must be U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or a holder of a J-1 visa (sponsored by ECFMG in order to engage in graduate medical education).
- Graduation within five years of application
- Visas – we do not sponsor J-1 or H-1 visas. All applicants must have a valid work permit.
Other Important Information
Our program is a 12-12-12 Family Medicine Residency program, and we have 12 PGY1 openings to fill for the upcoming academic year.
ERAS, NRMP: All applications must register through ERAS and NRMP. Applications are only accepted through ERAS.
Interviews: We conduct ½ day virtual interviews — 8:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. or 12:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. — on selected Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays in October, November, December, and January. The day consists of interviews with faculty members and current residents and a virtual tour.
Process of Selection: Individuals from the Residency Selection Committee will interview each applicant and complete an Application Evaluation Form. Interviewees will be ranked by the selection committee.