What is IP?
Interventional Pulmonology (IP) is an exciting and rapidly growing subspecialty of Pulmonary Medicine in which a board-certified pulmonologist with additional training performs advanced airway management via minimally invasive techniques. The approach to the patient is usually multidisciplinary, including collaboration with a thoracic surgeon, oncologist, radiologist, pulmonologist, and even anesthesiologist. Procedures may be performed at the patient’s bedside, in an endoscopy suite, and/or in the operating room.
In order to facilitate minimally invasive treatment of complex airway and lung conditions, the field of IP has dramatically changed the approach to diagnosing, staging, and treating lung cancers, as well as that of pulmonary nodules, benign airway disease, and pleural disease. Many patients are treated by IP without the need of surgery due to the nature of IP’s technology and toolkit.
Meet Dr. Pushan Jani
Dr. Pushan Jani leads the Interventional Pulmonology Program at McGovern Medical School at UTHealth on the Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center campus in Houston, and delivers a highly specialized skillset of tools and resources for the pulmonary patient in need, and all the while provides highly individualized patient-centered care. He collaborates with physicians not only within the Memorial Hermann Hospital system, but also in the world-class Texas Medical Center. He is committed to the daily education of the pulmonary & critical care fellows and is deeply involved in hands-on demonstrations, training workshops, and lectures both locally and nationally. Dr. Jani is known for his thoughtful and thorough explanations, discussions, and bedside manner. Spending time both before and after the procedures with his patients and their families is important and key to his successful outcomes.
Interventional Pulmonology at Memorial Hermann-TMC
Offering state-of-the-art technology and evidence-based techniques, our IP Program at UTHealth on the Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center campus in Houston is the most comprehensive program of its kind in the Memorial Hermann Hospital system and offers a multidisciplinary approach to patient care. The following is a list of many of the common IP procedures available to patients at Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center:
- Rigid Bronchoscopy
- Flexible Fiber-optic Bronchoscopy
- Electromagnetic Navigation Bronchoscopy using the SuperDimension System
- Electromagnetic Navigation Bronchoscopy using the Veran Navigation System
- Endobronchial Ultrasound (radial and linear)
- Stent Placement
- Endobronchial Valve Placement for Bronchopleural Fistulas
- Balloon Dilatation for Bronchial/Tracheal Stenosis
- Use of Laser/Argon Plasma Coagulation (APC)/Cryotherapy for Endobronchial Tumor Debridement
- Use of Electrocautery Needle Knife for Tracheal Web Resections
- Bronchial Thermoplasty for Severe Asthma
- Percutaneous Tracheostomy
- Zephyr Valve Placement for Severe Emphysema (COPD)
- Chest Tube Placement for Recurrent Pleural Effusions/Pneumothorax
- PleurX Catheter Placement and Management