Conferences are targeted to enhance the medical knowledge of our trainees through didactics and interactive learning. The structure and frequency is described further below.
Fellows Introductory Series:
- Lectures in the first two months geared to provide important didactic information on core topics.
Renal Grand Rounds:
- Weekly on Wednesdays at 1:30pm, September – June.
- This is a clinical conference, which includes a core course in renal pathology, radiology and urology along with series of clinical talks on renal related subject matter from experts in the field across the local and national level.
Nephrology Clinical Conferences:
- Weekly on Tuesdays, September – June.
- Fellow led, interactive conferences that alternate between clinical case presentations, journal club, morbidity and mortality conference, and quality improvement.
- Renal faculty will be present and assist with journal article selection and will incorporate statistic and epidemiological lectures during the conference.
- The purpose of these conferences is to stimulate discussion on topics relevant to the current clinical practice of nephrology.
Renal Pathology Conference:
- Monthly on Wednesdays, September-June.
- This conference is led by the UT McGovern Medical School Renal Pathologists.
- Weekly on Mondays, September – June.
- Select renal faculty in the division present fellow level didactic lectures aimed to cover required topics listed in the ACGME core curriculum for nephrology.
- Topics will be covered over the course of the two-year fellowship.
- Monthly meeting among fellows, led by the chief fellow.
- Content will include board type questions for review and discussion.
Peritoneal Dialysis Case Conference:
- Quarterly conference designed to review core peritoneal dialysis concepts in setting of real world clinical scenarios.
MDACC Renal Rounds:
- Weekly on Fridays, year-round.
- Attended by MDA faculty and fellows assigned to the MDA service.
- Aimed to cover current issues in nephrology with a specific focus on renal physiology, cancer related renal disease and chemotherapeutic related renal issues.
Transplant Biopsy Conference:
- Monthly on Fridays, year-round.
- Led by renal pathology and transplant nephrology physicians.
Internal Medicine Grand Rounds:
- Weekly on Thursdays, year-round.
- Didactic lecture by faculty or visiting Professors on a wide range of topics in Internal Medicine.