Clinical Associate Professor, Diagnostic and Interventional Imaging
Education & Training
- Medical School
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana Facultad de Medicina, Bogota, Columbia, 1991
- Radiology, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana Facultad de Medicina, Bogota, Columbia, 1997
- Visiting Fellowship
- University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 1997
- Neuroradiology, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston (now known as McGovern Medical School at UTHealth), 2005
Areas of Interests
- Clinical Interests
For the last 12 years I have been working as a Neuroradiologist at McGovern Medical School at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth). I have the pleasure of working with medical students, residents, fellows, and faculty from the Radiology, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Infectious disease, and Ophthalmology departments. My clinical work has led me to specific areas of interest for research, such as Mitochondrial Diseases, Stroke, Pediatric Neuroimaging, and MRI safety. I enjoy creating educational materials that will enhance the learning experience for our residents and visiting students.
ECFMG Certificate, 2003
American Board of Radiology, Diagnostic Radiology, 2007
American Board of Radiology, Neuroradiology CAQ, 2009
- Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award, May 2015. The University of Texas Medical School atHouston
- Magna Cum Laude Award. Imaging of Craniocervical Junction Traumatic Injuries: What the Clinician Needs to Know. RF Riascos, E Bonfante, C Cotes, R Hakimelahi. Education Exhibit. 100th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting Radiological Society of North America (RSNA). Chicago, IL, Dec 2014.
- Magna Cum Laude Award. What Is Going on in That Posterior Fossa? The Tale of the Development of the Posterior Fossa. RF Riascos,J Lazor, E Bonfante, MC Caldas Vasquez, SP Jadhav, LE Swischuk. Education Exhibit. 96th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), Chicago, IL, 2010.
- Cum Laude Award. Troubleshooting Stroke Mimics and Concealed Strokes: The Neurologist and the Neuroradiologist’s Perspective. E Bonfante, R Riascos, EP Supsupin, R Elkhoury, MO Patino, CW Sitton. Electronic Exhibit. 49th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Neuroradiology (ASNR), Seattle WA, June 2011.
Peer & Non-Peer Reviewed Journals
- Parikh, NA Lasky RE, Garza CN, Bonfante E., Shankaran S and Tyson JE: Volumetric and anatomical MRI for hypoxic – ischemic encephalopathy: relationship to hypothermia therapy and neurosensory impairments. J of Perinatology 2009 Feb;29(2), 143-9. Epub 2008 Nov 20. PMID: 19020525
- Supsupin, EP, Choi, JM, Bonfante E., Sitton, CW, Hochhauser, L: Bilateral Absence of the Common Carotid Arteries with Separate Origins of the Internal and External Carotid Arteries Detected by CT Angiography: Case Report. Neurographics, 2:1, March 2012, pp. 44-46(3).
- Bonfante E., Koenig MK, Supsupin EP, Riascos R: The Many Guises of Mitochondrial Disease. Neurographics, 3:1, March 2013, pp. 2-10(9).
- Parikh NA, He L, Bonfante E., Hochhauser L, Wilder PE, Burson K, Kaur S: Automatically Quantified Diffuse Excessive High Signal Intensity on MRI Predicts Cognitive Development in Preterm Infants. Pediatric Neurology, 2013, Dec;49(6):424-30. PMID: 24138952
- Claudia Soler-Alfonso, Gregory M. Enns, Mary Kay Koenig, Heather Saavedra, Bonfante E., Hope Northrup. “Identification of HIBCH Gene Mutations Causing Autosomal Recessive Leigh Syndrome: A Gene Involved in Valine Metabolism,” Pediatric Neurology 52, no. 3 (March 2015): 361–65, doi:10.1016/j.pediatrneurol.2014.10.023.
- Cotes C, Bonfante E.,, Lazor J, Jadhav S, Caldas M, Riascos R. Congenital Basis of Posterior Fossa Anomalies. Neuroradiology Journal. 2015 Jun 28. (3):238-53. doi: 10.1177/1971400915576665
- Riascos R, Bonfante E, Cotes C, Hakimelahi R. Imaging of Atlanto-occipital and Atlanto-axial Traumatic Injuries: What the Radiologists Needs to Know. RadioGraphics, November/December 2015. 2015 Nov-Dec. 35 (7):2121-34. doi: 10.1148/rg.2015150035
- Bonfante E, Koenig M, Adejumo R, Perinjelil V, Riascos R. The Neuroimaging of Leigh Syndrome: Case Series & Review of the Literature. Pediatric Radiology. January 6,2016. DOI 10.1007/s00247-015-3523-5
- Laurel A. Slaughter, Bonfante E., Susan R. Hintz, Igor Dvorchik, Nehal A. Parikh. Early Conventional MRI for Prediction of Neurodevelopmental Impairment in Extremely-Low-Birth-Weight Infants. Neonatology, 2016; 47 DOI: 10.1159/000444179
- Bonfante E. , Koenig MK, Riascos R. Imaging Findings in Kearns-Sayre Syndrome: A Typical Case of an Infrequent PathologyNeurographics, Volume 7, Number 4, 1 July 2017, pp. 262-265(4). DOI: https://doi.org/10.3174/ng.9170214
- Valenzuela, R; Arevalo O; Tavera A; Riascos R; Bonfante E; Patel R. “Imaging of Gadolinium Deposition in Central Nervous System” Journal of Radiology Chile 2017, Vol.23, N.2, pp.59-65.
Book Chapters & Books
- Elsayes, KM, Oldham, SA, Bonfante, E. Book chapter: Introduction to Diagnostic Radiology, McGraw-Hill Professional, August 2014.
- Riascos R, Bonfante E: RadCases Neuro Imaging, Thieme Publishers, November, 2010.
- Riascos R, Bonfante E. Book chapter: Linfadenopatia del cuello. Avances en Diagnostico por Imagenes: Cabeza y Cuello. Buenos Aires. Ediciones Journal, 2012. ISBN 978-987-1259-64-9.
- Riascos R, Bonfante E. Book chapter: John R. Haaga’s CT and MRI of the Whole Body, 6th Edition. ISBN 978-0-323-11328-1. Elsevier. Published Date: 28th July 2016
- Bonfante E, Choi J, Riascos R. Book chapter: Trauma to the Spinal Column, Naidich/Imaging of the Spine, 2nd edition. In press.
- Riascos R, Bonfante E, Choi J. Book chapter: Spinal Hemorrhage, Naidich/Imaging of the Spine, 2nd edition. In press.
- Bonfante E, Riascos R. Guest editors. The Neuroimaging Clinics of North America. Imaging or Cerebral concussion. In press.