If a visiting medical student is not currently enrolled in an ACGME accredited medical school we cannot accommodate that medical student rotating through our department.
If a visiting medical student receives approval to rotate through our department, their program must provide the medical student with their health insurance. These visiting students cannot physically care for a patient or do any procedures on patients other than observe since they do not have an institutional permit and are not covered by our malpractice insurance.
Students are requested to email Dr. Manickam “Nicks” Kumaravel with their Match Results.
McGovern Medicine School offers several courses for medical students instruction in Radiology:
- The Core Clerkship – taken as an elective in the senior year of medical school. It is a four week course accommodating up to 15 medical students per month. Students spend three weeks at UT-Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center (TMC) and one week at MD Anderson Cancer Center starting in August. The course exposes medical students to a range of radiologic examinations and their clinical indications. It emphasizes the basics of chest, GI, GU, pediatric, neuroradiology, CT and skeletal imaging. The students have daily lectures and spend the rest of the day in different areas of the department observing/participating in read out sessions. Grading is based on one or more of these factors: attendance, unknown case presentation and a final examination composed of both multiple choice questions and film-interpretation written exam.
- Radiology Electives in Diagnostic, Radiation Oncology, Body Computed Tomography/Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Neuroradiology and Emergency – MSK Radiology.
- Mini-electives in Radiology students with a special interest in Radiology or a subspecialty may elect to do a two-week long elective in one area such as: CT, US, MRI, Neuroradiology, Vascular Interventional Radiology or Emergency Radiology. Special permission to do these electives needs to be obtained from the Section Chiefs for these areas.
The Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Imaging Electives:
- Department Contacts/General Information/Additional Topics
- RAD 4001 Diagnostic Radiology
- RAD 4003 Pediatric Radiology
- RAD 4005 Body Computed Tomography/Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- RAD 4006 Vascular and Interventional Radiology – MD Anderson
- RAD 4007 Neuroradiology
- RAD 4012 Vascular and Interventional Radiology – MHH & LBJ
- RAD 4013 Emergency Radiology – MHH
- RAD 4014 MSK Radiology – MHH