***ATTENTION*** Please pay close attention to the Application Process below. If you apply only through VSAS/ School of Medicine your application processing will be delayed.
Welcome! Thank you for your interest in our program.
EMER 4001 is our visiting student elective and is open from August-January (not available from February-July) and runs from the 1st weekday of the month to the last weekday of the month (i.e. Monday August 3, 2015 – Monday August 31, 2015).
To be eligible for the elective you must have completed the 4 core rotations (Medicine, Surgery, OB/GYN, Pediatrics) & have taken the USMLE Step I.
Part 1: Email the Clerkship Coordinator beginning NOW to:
a) give the month when you would prefer to rotate.
1) an official/unofficial school transcript
2) your USMLE Score report
3) your CV.
Part 2: Apply through VSAS as soon as this opens through UTHSC School of Medicine Student Affairs – May 1st.
* Our sites –
Memorial Hermann Hospital TMC – This is the referral hub of the Memorial Hermann System (largest healthcare provider in the state of Texas) and one of the busiest Level I trauma centers in the country and the busiest Level I in Houston, TX. PRIMARY SITE FOR VISITING STUDENTS.
Lyndon Baines Johnson Hospital – One of 2 Harris County hospitals, this is a busy Level III trauma center with a large Spanish speaking population and an experience where “you’ll see things that you won’t get to see most other places.” SHIFTS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST.
EMER 4001 rotation details:
– Month long blocks (i.e. 1st to last weekday of each calendar month) from July – January
– 16 eight-hour shifts (days, evenings, nights, weekends)
– 4 small group sessions/skills labs (1/week)
– Required weekly Thursday residency conferences
– NBME Shelf Exam during the last week of the elective
– Presentation to the student group during the last week of the elective
– Procedure/Patient Log
– Optional additional sessions discussed during orientation