It is my privilege to extend a warm welcome from our Residency Program. We are a family of residents, faculty, and staff committed to excellence in patient care, and we work deliberately to advance that care through education, leadership and research. Our foundation rests on a wonderfully diverse clinical experience – we train at both the busiest Level 1 Trauma center in the country (MHH-TMC) and the busiest Emergency Center in Houston (LBJ General Hospital). Our practice is punctuated by high acuity and underpinned by a deep commitment to the underserved. We are proud to have that inform all that we do as we celebrate each other’s successes and grow in each other’s failures. We invest heavily in both your professional and personal development – our residents are trained by a remarkable group of nationally recognized clinician educators and scientists and they are supported by a remarkable group of human beings. I routinely find myself thinking that I couldn’t have found better people to work with, or a more amazing place to work in. Please take a look around and thank you for visiting with us.
Welcome to McGovern Med EM
Why McGovern Medical School?
Here are a few highlights:
- Busiest Level I Trauma Center in the United States
- Busiest Level III County Hospital in Texas and highest volume Emergency Center in Houston
- 8 separate ICUs, 45% admission rate, 10% critical care admission rate
- 25 months of core emergency medicine rotations
- State-of-the-art Simulation Lab
- High-volume of critical procedures in the ED
- Memorial Hermann LifeFlight EMS—busiest non-militarized heliport in the Western Hemisphere
- Multidisciplinary research in trauma resuscitation, prehospital thrombolytics, interventional therapy for acute stroke, emergency ultrasound, education, and many more
- EMS experience with Houston Fire Department (largest accredited municipal fire agency in the world)
- Extensive pediatric exposure with both integrated and dedicated Pediatric ED experience
- Award winning faculty and staff from around the country with advanced training and degrees
- Runnell’s Grand Rounds, lecture series featuring nationally renowned speakers
- Embedded in one of the nation’s most diverse cities teeming with great cuisine, art, and culture
For more in depth information, please check out our FAQs.
A few of our Residents were recently featured in an education video for the SBMI – McWilliams School of Biomedical Informatics at UTHealth Houston.
Ask A Resident
Please feel free to ask a resident. Our Chief Residents are more than happy to help you navigate the interview dinner/day or answer any other questions you have.