The laboratory of Dr. Spiros Blackburn is dedicated to advancing the understanding of subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) and cerebrovascular disorders such as cerebral aneurysm and to promote enhancements in treatments and therapies. It is our mission to conduct basic and translational research using interdisciplinary approach and techniques, promote enhancements in treatments and therapies, and improve the outcomes of patients affected by subarachnoid hemorrhage and vascular disorders.
Dr. Spiros Blackburn is an Associate Professor in the Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston, where he serves as a cerebrovascular neurosurgeon. He obtained his MD at UT Southwestern and completed internship and fellowship at Washington University and Emory University. As a clinician, he has participated in a number of clinical trials and clinical research to advance the understanding of brain aneurysms and contributed to translational research studies. For a full list of Dr. Blackburn’s publications, click here.
Correlation between haptoglobin genotype and hypercoagulability and inflammation biomarkers after SAH
Haptoglobin has been indicated to cerebral vasospasm, delayed cerebral ischemia, and poor outcome of patient after SAH. We use human biological samples to validate haptoglobin as a predictor of clinical outcome post SAH, and investigate the correlation between inflammatory and hypercoagulability biomarkers and haptoglobin.
Cerebrovascular endothelial cell dysfunction in SAH
SAH has been shown to induce multifaceted regulatory mechanisms of cerebral endothelial dysfunctions. We use animal models to determine the role of inflammatory signaling in endothelial cell dysfunction, investigate the signaling events responsible for endothelial cell injury affecting blood brain barrier integrity, and analyze the role of endothelial cell signaling in attenuating SAH-induced cerebral dysfunctions.
Spiros Blackburn, M.D., Assistant Professor
Peeyush K Thankamani Pandit, Ph.D., Sr. Research Associate
Kanako Matsumura, B.S., Research Assistant
Alba Rubi Banegas, B.S., Research Assistant
Department of Neurosurgery
The University of Texas Medical School-Houston
1. Leclerc JL, Blackburn S, Neal D, Mendez NV, Wharton JA, Waters MF, et al. Haptoglobin phenotype predicts the development of focal and global cerebral vasospasm and may influence outcomes after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112(4):1155-60.
2. Fargen KM, Blackburn S, Deshaies EM, Carpenter JS, Jabbour P, Mack WJ, et al. Final results of the multicenter, prospective Axium MicroFX for Endovascular Repair of IntraCranial Aneurysm Study (AMERICA). J Neurointerv Surg. 2015;7(1):40-3.
3. Blackburn SL, Abdelazim AM, Cutler AB, Brookins KT, Fargen KM, Hoh BL, et al. Endovascular and Surgical Treatment of Unruptured MCA Aneurysms: Meta-Analysis and Review of the Literature. Stroke Res Treat. 2014;2014:348147.
4. Blackburn SL, Kadkhodayan Y, Ray WZ, Zipfel GJ, Cross DT, Moran CJ, et al. Onyx is associated with poor venous penetration in the treatment of spinal dural arteriovenous fistulas. J Neurointerv Surg. 2014;6(7):536-40.
5. Blackburn SL, Kadkhodayan Y, Shekhtman E, Derdeyn CP, Cross DT, Moran CJ. Treatment of basilar tip aneurysms with horizontal PCA to PCA stent-assisted coiling: case series. J Neurointerv Surg. 2013;5(3):212-6.
6. Kadkhodayan Y, Rhodes N, Blackburn S, Derdeyn CP, Cross DT, Moran CJ. Comparison of Enterprise with Neuroform stent-assisted coiling of intracranial aneurysms. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2013;200(4):872-8.
7. Kadkhodayan Y, Shetty VS, Blackburn SL, Reynolds MR, Cross DT, Moran CJ. Pipeline embolization device and subsequent vessel sacrifice for treatment of a bleeding carotid pseudoaneurysm at the skull base: a case report. J Neurointerv Surg. 2013;5(5):e31.
8. Dhar R, Scalfani MT, Blackburn S, Zazulia AR, Videen T, Diringer M. Relationship between angiographic vasospasm and regional hypoperfusion in aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Stroke. 2012;43(7):1788-94.
9. Blackburn SL, Ashley WW, Rich KM, Simpson JR, Drzymala RE, Ray WZ, et al. Combined endovascular embolization and stereotactic radiosurgery in the treatment of large arteriovenous malformations. J Neurosurg. 2011;114(6):1758-67.
10. Ray WZ, Strom RG, Blackburn SL, Ashley WW, Sicard GA, Rich KM. Incidence of deep venous thrombosis after subarachnoid hemorrhage. J Neurosurg. 2009;110(5):1010-4.