Laboratory of Ryan S. Kitagawa, M.D.
Dr. Ryan Kitagawa’s Lab is focused on Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) including multiple clinical trials. Dr. Kitagawa’s main area of interest involves inflammation and coagulation following TBI including the use of anticoagulant and antiplatelet medications, the management of heart attack, and the management of patient’s with cirrhosis following TBI. Dr. Kitagawa is also involved in multiple studies involving the operative management of ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke.
Dr. Kitagawa is an Assistant Professor in the Vivian L. Smith Department of Neurosurgery and is the Director of Neurotrauma. He is a frequent guest lecturer for AANS, CNS, and the AO Foundation. He is the PI for several funded multicenter clinical trials and is the director of the Department of Neurosurgery Traumatic Brain Injury Database.
1) HypOthermia for Patients requiring Evacuation of Subdural Hematoma: A Multicenter, Randomized Clinical Trial – “The HOPES Trial”
2) MultiStem for acute, severe traumatic brain injury in adults: Clinical Trial
3) Transforming Research and Clinical Knowledge in Traumatic Brain Injury (TRACK-TBI)
4) The use of antiplatelet and anticoagulant medications after traumatic brain injury
5) The use of antiplatelet medications after surgical decompression and acute stroke
Office Phone: 713-704-7100
- Fridley JS, Thomas J, Kitagawa RS, Chern J, Omeis IA. Immediate Development of a Contralateral Acute Subdural Hematoma following Acute Subdural Hematoma Evacuation. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. 2011 Mar;18(3):422-3
- Gressot LV, Patel AJ, Kitagawa RS, Goodman JC, Gopinath SP. Frontal sinus encephalocele: case report and review of literature. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2013 Oct;115(10):2174-7.
- Kerr K, Wilkerson C, Shepard S, Choi H, Kitagawa R. Use of anti-platelet agents after traumatic intracranial hemorrhage. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2016 Jan;140:85-90.
- Kitagawa RS, Bullock MR. Lessons from the DECRA study. World Neurosurg. 2013 Jan;79(1):82-4.
- Kitagawa RS, Mawad ME, Whitehead WE, Curry DJ, Luersen TG, Jea A. Paraspinal arteriovenous malformations in children. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2009 May;3(5):425-8
- Kitagawa RS, Satyan KB, Relyea K, Dauser RC, Nuchtern JG, Minifee PK, Whitehead WE, Curry DJ, Luerssen TG, Jea A. Video-assisted thorascopic repair of a subarachnoid-pleural fistula in a child after thoracic tumor resection: technical note. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010 Apr 20;35(9):E347-50
- Kitagawa RS, Van Haren RM, Yokobori S, Cohen D, Beckerman SR, Ahmad F, Bullock MR. Management of simultaneous traumatic brain injury and aortic injury. J Neurosurg. 2013 Jun 14.
- Kitagawa R, Yokobori S, Mazzeo AT, Bullock R. Microdialysis in the neurocritical care unit. Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2013 Jul;24(3):417-26
- McCutcheon IE, Kitagawa RS, Demasi PF, Law BK, Friend KE. Frameless stereotactic navigation in transsphenoidal surgery: comparison with fluoroscopy. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg. 2004;82(1):43-8
- McCutcheon IE, Kitagawa RS, Sherman SI, Bruner JM. Adenocarcinoma of the salivary gland metastatic to the pituitary gland: case report. Neurosurgery 2001 May;48(5):1161-5; discussion 1165-6