Karl M. Schmitt, MD
- Assistant Professor, The Vivian L. Smith Department of Neurosurgery
Karl Schmitt, MD, is an assistant professor of neurosurgery at McGovern Medical School at UTHealth and is board certified by the American Association of Neurological Surgery.
Dr. Schmitt is a graduate of The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston; he completed a five-year neurosurgery residency at the same institution. In 2005, he completed the Yale Comprehensive Spinal Fellowship at Yale University School of Medicine in New Haven.
Schmitt served as an assistant professor of neurosurgery at the University of Maryland at Baltimore. From 1995 until 2004, prior to completing his spinal fellowship, he was a member of Spinal and Neurological Surgery Associates, PLLC in Bryan, Texas, with a faculty appointment as adjunct assistant professor at the Texas A&M School of Medicine.
He was in private practice in Bryan from 1984 to 1995.
- Complex spinal surgery
- Minimally invasive spine surgery
- Spinal cord and spinal column tumors
- Spinal and cranial trauma
- General neurosurgery
American Board of Neurological Surgery
If you are interested in learning more about Dr. Schmitt’s clinical practice, please click below.
- Graduate School
- The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas
- The University of Texas Medical Branch, Division of Neurosurgery Department, Galveston, Texas
- Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut (Yale Comprehensive Spinal)