Associate Professor, The Vivian L. Smith Department of Neurosurgery
Education & Training
- Graduate School
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune, India
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
- The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas
- University of Washington, Seattle, Washington (Neurosurgery)
- Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio (Epilepsy)
- Post Doctorate
- The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas (Human Neuroimaging)
Areas of Interests
- Clinical Interests
- Epilepsy surgery including placement of subdural grid electrodes, amygdalo-hippocampectomy, anterior temporal lobectomy, neo-cortical resections
- Brain mapping and awake craniotomies
- Brain tumor surgery, including: tumors in speech and motor cortex, insular tumors, intra-ventricular tumors, pineal tumors, pituitary and para-sellar tumors
- Cavernous malformation (cavernoma) surgery
- Micro-vascular decompression for trigeminal neuralgia
- General Neurosurgery
- Research Interest
- Brain mapping with functional MRI, electrical stimulation and diffusion tractography
- Intra-cranial electrophysiology
American Board of Neurological Surgery
Dr. Nitin Tandon is an assistant professor of neurosurgery at UTHealth Medical School. Dr. Tandon received his medical degree at the Armed Forces Medical College in Pune, India, followed by a residency in neurosurgery at The University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio. He completed a fellowship in epilepsy surgery at Cleveland Clinic.
He has co-authored many studies, which have been published in NeuroImage, Journal of Neurosurgery, Clinical Neurosurgery and Human Brain Mapping. His current research studies include “The localization of eloquent cortex using functional imaging and using diffusion tensor imaging tractography” and “The electrophysiological characteristics of language regions.”
Dr. Tandon is a member of the Texas Medical Association, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Organization of Human Brain Mapping, Society for Neuroscience and the American Epilepsy Society. He is an ad hoc reviewer for many peer-reviewed journals. He has been an invited speaker at national and international conferences and also directs an active research effort.
1. Tandon N, Vollmer DG, New PZ, Hevezi JM, Herman T, Kagan-Hallet K, West GA. Fulminant radiation-induced necrosis after stereotactic radiation therapy to the posterior fossa. Case report and review of the literature. Journal of Neurosurgery 95:507-512, 2001.
2. Luders HO, Acharya J, Alexopoulos A, Baumgartner C, Bautista J, Burgess R, Carreno M, Diehl B, Dinner D, Ebner A, Foldvary N, Godoy J, Hamer H, Ikeda A, Kallen K, Kellinghaus C, Kotagal P, Lachhwani D, Loddenkemper T, Mani J, Matsumoto R, Moddel G, Nair D, Noachtar S, O’Donovan CA, Rona S, Rosenow F, Schuele S, Szabo CA, Tandon N, Tanner A, Widdess-Walsh P. Are epilepsy classifications based on epileptic syndromes and seizure types outdated? Epileptic Disorders 8(1): 81-5, 2006.
3. Tandon N, O’Neill TJ, Vollmer DG, Wang M. Intra-ventricular occurrence of a melanocytoma: a case report. Journal of Neurosurgery 109:480-485, 2008
4. Tandon N, Alexopoulos AV, Warbel A, Najm IM, Bingaman WE. Occipital Epilepsy: spatial categorization and surgical management. Journal of Neurosurgery 110(2) Feb 2009.
5. Ellmore TM, Beauchamp MS, O’Neill TJ, Dreyer SE, Tandon N. Relationships between Essential Cortical Language Sites and Subcortical Pathways: Journal of Neurosurgery. 111:755–766, Oct 2009
6. Ellmore TM, Beauchamp MS, Breier JI, Slater JD, Kalamangalam GP, O’Neill TJ, DiSano MA, Tandon N: Temporal Lobe White Matter Asymmetry and Language Laterality in epilepsy patients. Neuroimage. 2010 Feb 1; 49(3): 2033-44.
7. *Ellmore TM, Pieters TA, Tandon N: Dissociation between Diffusion MR Tractography Density and Strength in Epilepsy Patients with Hippocampal Sclerosis. Epilepsy Research 93(2-3): 197-203, Feb 2011
8. Kalamangalam GP, Tandon N, Saria HY, Slater JD: Asymmetric scalp EMG: A common and accurate lateralizing sign in motor seizures. Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology 28(5): 512-9, 2011
9. Alexandrescu S, Brown RE, Tandon N, Bhattacharjee MB: Neuronal precursor features of spindle cell oncocytoma of adenohypophysis. Annals of Clinical & Laboratory Science, 42(2): 123-9, 2012
10. Pieters TA, Conner CR, Tandon N: Recursive grid partitioning on a cortical surface model: An optimized technique for the localization of implanted subdural electrodes. Journal of Neurosurgery 118(5): 1086-97, May 2013
11. Friedman ER, Tandon N: Beyond Mesial Temporal Sclerosis: Optimizing MRI Evaluation in Focal Epilepsy. NeuroGraphics, Volume 3, Number 2, pp. 60-69(10), June 2013.
12. Esquenazi Y, Kerr K, Bhattacharjee MB, Tandon N. Traumatic rupture of an intracranial dermoid cyst: Case report and literature review. Surgical Neurology International Jun 12; 4:80, 2013
13. Tandon N, Esquenazi YE. Resection strategies in tumoral epilepsy: Is a lesionectomy enough? Epilepsia 2013 Dec; 54 Suppl 9:72-8.
14. Tandon N, Esquenazi YE: A meta-analysis of the complications of SDE placement (ltr to the Editor) Epilepsia 55(1): 195 Jan 2014.
15. *Esquenazi YE, Kalamangalam GP, Slater JD, Knowlton RC, Friedman E, Aaron-Morris S, Shetty A, Gowda A, Tandon N : Stereotactic laser ablation of epileptogenic periventricular nodular heterotopia. Epilepsy Research, Mar 108(3): 547-54, 2014
16. *Esquenazi Y, Tandon N, Shank C, Bhattacharjee MB. Lipomatous Hemangiopericytoma of the Sellar Region: Case report and Review of the Literature. Annals of Clinical and Lab Science 2013. In Press.
17. Kalamangalam GP, Tandon N, Slater JD. Dynamic mechanisms underlying after-discharges: A human subdural recording study. Clinical Neurophysiology (in press) PMID: 24365519.
18. Barron D, Tandon N, Lancaster JL, Fox PT: Thalamic Connectivity in Medial Temporal Lobe Epilepsy – Epilepsia 2014 (in press)
19. Neurostimulation for the Treatment of Epilepsy: The Skeptical View (Editorial) So NK, Cole AJ, Tandon N, Slater JD, Smith MC. Neurology (in press)
20. Lüders HO, Amina S, Bailey C, Baumgartner C, Benbadis S, Bermeo A, Carreño M, Devereaux M, Diehl B, Eccher M, Edwards J, Fastenau P, Baca-Vaca GF, Godoy J, Hamer H, Hong SB, Ikeda A, Kahane P, Kaiboriboon K, Kalamangalam GP, Lardizabal D, Lhatoo S, Lüders J, Mani J, Mayor C, Latorre TM, Miller J, Morris H, Noachtar S, O’Donovan C, Park J, Perez-Jimenez MA, Rona S, Rosenow F, Shahid A, Schuele S, Skidmore C, Steinhoff B, Szabό CA, Sweet J, Tandon N, Tanner A, Tsuji S: The importance of considering different types of alteration and loss of consciousness in epilepsy. Epilepsia – In press.
Basic Science Papers
1. Tandon N, Narayana S, Lancaster JL, Brown S, Dodd S, Vollmer DG, Ingham R, Ingham J, Liotti M, Fox PT. CNS Resident Award: Role of the lateral premotor cortex in articulation. Clinical Neurosurgery 50:341-349, 2003.
2. Fox PT, Narayana S, Tandon N, Sandoval H, Fox SP, Kochunov P, JL Lancaster. Column-based model of electric field excitation of cerebral cortex: Human Brain Mapping. 22(1): 1-14, 2004.
3. Fox PT, Narayana S, Tandon N, Fox SP, Sandoval H, Kochunov P, Capaday C, Lancaster JL. Intensity modulation of TMS-induced cortical excitation: primary motor cortex. Human Brain Mapping 27(6): 478-87, 2006.
4. Swann N, Tandon N, Canolty R, Ellmore TE, McEvoy L, Dreyer SE, DiSano M, Aron AR – Intracranial EEG reveals time-specific and frequency-specific role for right inferior frontal gyrus and primary motor cortex in stopping initiated responses. Journal of Neuroscience • 29(40): 12675–12685, October 7, 2009
5. *Khursheed F, Tandon N, Tertel K, Pieters TA, Disano MA, Ellmore TM: Frequency-specific electrocorticographic correlates of working memory delay period fMRI activity. NeuroImage Jun 1; 56(3): 1773-82, 2011
6. *Conner CR, Ellmore TM, Pieters T, Tandon N: Variability of the Relationship between Electro-physiology and BOLD-fMRI across Cortical Regions in Humans. Journal of Neuroscience 31(36): 12855-65, 2011
7. *Conner CR, Ellmore TM, DiSano MA, Pieters TA, Potter A, Tandon N: Comparative assessments of anatomic and electro-physiologic connectivity in the language system. Computers in Biology and Medicine 41(12): 1100-9, 2011
8. Tertel K, Tandon N, Ellmore TM: Probing brain connectivity by combined analysis of diffusion MRI tractography and electrocorticography. Computers in Biology and Medicine 41(12): 1092-9, 2011
9. Swann NC, Cai W, Conner CR, Pieters TA, Claffey MP, George JS, Aron AR, Tandon N: Roles for the pre-supplementary motor area and the right inferior frontal gyrus in stopping action: electro-physiological responses and functional connectivity. NeuroImage 59(3): 2860-70, 2012
10. Narayana S, Laird AR, Tandon N, Franklin C, Lancaster JL, Fox PT. Electrophysiological and functional connectivity of the human supplementary motor area. Neuroimage. 62(1): 250-65, 2012
11. Ellmore TM, Tertel K, Dias NR, Tandon N: Mapping subcortical connectivity related to cortical gamma and theta oscillations. 2012 IEEE Xplore, IEEE 2012.
12. Watrous AJ, Tandon N, Conner CR, Pieters TA, Elstrom AD: Frequency specific network dynamics underpin spatiotemporal memory retrieval. Nature Neuroscience 16(3): 349-56, Mar 2013
13. Lin Y, Chen Y, Wang Y, Yang J, Zhu VF, Liu Y, Cui X, Chen L, Yan W, Jiang T, Hergenroeder GW, Fletcher SA, Levine JM, Kim DH, Tandon N, Zhu JJ, Li M. ZIP4 is a novel molecular marker for glioma. Neuro-Oncology. 15(8): 1008-16, Aug 2013
14. Swann NC, Tandon N, Pieters TA, Aron AR: Intracranial EEG reveals dissociable roles for dorsal and ventro-lateral prefrontal cortex in preparing to stop action. Cerebral Cortex 23(10): 2479-88, Oct 2013
15. Ritaccio A, Brunner P, Crone NE, Gunduz A, Hirsch LJ, Kanwisher N, Litt B, Miller K, Moran D, Parvizi J, Ramsey N, Richner TJ, Tandon N, Williams J, Schalk G. Proceedings of the Fourth International Workshop on Advances in Electrocorticography. Epilepsy and Behavior Nov 29(2): 259-68, 2013.
16. Wessel JR, Conner CR, Aron AR, Tandon N. Chronometric electrical stimulation of right inferior frontal cortex increases motor braking. Journal of Neuroscience. 33(50): 19611-9, 2013.
17. *Conner CR, Chen G, Pieters TA, Tandon N: Category specific spatial dissociations of parallel processes underlying visual naming. Cerebral Cortex (In press) PMID 23696279
18. Kadipasaoglu CM, Baboyan VG, Conner CR, Chen G, Saad ZS, Tandon N: Surface-Based Mixed Effects Multilevel Analysis of Grouped Human Electro-Corticography. NeuroImage (in press)