I’d like to welcome you to McGovern Medical School at UTHealth’s EMS Fellowship, where our program offers a one-of-a-kind experience for motivated physicians looking to pursue a career in prehospital medicine. Our dedicated cadre of accomplished faculty guide and mentor fellows as they progress through their fellowship year. Fellows will learn EMS medical direction on the front lines, serving as an Assistant Medical Director for the City of Houston Fire Department, where they will take call as the on-call medical director for a city of over 2.3 million. With access to HFD, Memorial Hermann Life Flight, a multitude of other progressive suburban EMS agencies, and the major events of the nation’s fourth largest city, the EMS fellowship experience at McGovern is uniquely suited for the prospective EMS fellow who wants a strong basis in operational EMS, while providing access to nationally-renowned prehospital researchers, a world-class academic institution, and some of the busiest clinical Emergency Department experiences anywhere. As a graduate of our program myself, I truly can’t think of a better place to practice or learn prehospital medicine, and I hope that as you look around our page, you will see how special this program really is.
Are you a physician with a passion for prehospital care? Do you want to:
- experience what it’s like to be the on-call medical director of the nation’s 4th largest city?
- run the streets of Houston in your own take-home field response vehicle?
- fly with one of the premier aeromedical EMS programs in the country?
- provide event medicine coverage at events like IRONMAN triathlons, Super Bowls, NBA All-Star Games, NCAA Final Fours, and more?
- interact with agencies that are pushing the envelope of prehospital care, including protocols for prehospital antibiotics for open fractures and the first ground-based 9-1-1 services in the nation to give whole blood in the field?
- learn special operations medicine by participating in training scenarios and operational interactions with such experts as the members of Texas Task Force 1 USAR team, the HFD HAZMAT Response team, and the Houston Police Department SWAT team?
- have the opportunity to teach residents, medical students, and fire, EMS, and law enforcement personnel?
- learn from a faculty with decades of experience in EMS medical direction and prehospital research, including nationally-acclaimed EMS minds such as Dr. David Persse, Dr. Ben Bobrow, Dr. Jamie McCarthy and more?
- join a community of EMS physicians dedicated to advancing EMS care and research?
- set yourself up to take the boards and become a board-certified EMS physician?
If so, McGovern Medical School’s EMS Fellowship might just be for you! Follow the links on the left to learn more about our program and feel free to reach out with questions.