David I. Sandberg, MD
- Professor and Dr. Marnie Rose Professor, Pediatric Neurosurgery, Pediatric Surgery
ContactDavid I. Sandberg, MD
(713) 500-7352 fax
Dr. David I. Sandberg is Professor and Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at McGovern Medical School at UTHealth Houston. He holds joint appointments in the Departments of Pediatric Surgery and Neurosurgery at UTHealth Houston, as well as, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, where he is Co-Director of the Pediatric Brain Tumor Program. His major clinical interests include pediatric brain tumors, minimally invasive endoscopic approaches to brain tumors and hydrocephalus, congenital spinal anomalies, vascular malformations, spasticity, and craniofacial disorders in children.
Dr. Sandberg has pioneered novel treatment approaches for pediatric brain tumors, and he is Principal Investigator of a joint clinical trial currently being conducted at UTHealth Houston and MD Anderson Cancer Center on a novel form of local chemotherapy delivery into the brain. Dr. Sandberg is on the Board of Directors and currently serves as Secretary of the Foundation for International Education in Neurological Surgery, and he has traveled broadly internationally on volunteer neurosurgery trips. Dr. Sandberg is fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the American Academy of Pediatrics and a member of the American Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery. He is a diplomate of the American Board of Neurological Surgery and the American Board of Pediatric Neurological Surgery.
Read About Dr. Sandberg’s Research Lab here »
He received his undergraduate degree from Harvard University, his medical degree from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, and completed neurosurgery residency training at Weill Medical College of Cornell University/New York Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Sandberg was awarded the Resident Traveling Fellowship in Pediatric Neurosurgery by the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS) and the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS), and he completed this fellowship at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Canada. After residency, he completed fellowship training in pediatric neurosurgery at the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, which is affiliated with the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California.
Dr. Sandberg is editor of the ISPN Guide to Pediatric Neurosurgery, Tumor Section, and is an ad hoc reviewer for a number of neurosurgery and neuroscience journals. He has co-authored textbook chapters and numerous manuscripts in peer-reviewed journals including Neurosurgery, Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics, Journal of Neuro-Oncology, Journal of Child Neurology and Pediatric Neurosurgery.
- Graduate School
- Doctor of Medicine - Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Surgery - Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY
- Neurosurgery - Weill Medical College of Cornell University
- Visiting Fellowship
- Pediatric Neurosurgery - Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Pediatric Neurosurgery - Children's Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
Areas of Interest
Pediatric brain tumors, minimally invasive endoscopic approaches to brain tumors and hydrocephalus, congenital spinal anomalies, vascular malformations, spasticity and craniofacial disorders in children.
Direct Administration of Chemotherapy into the Fourth Ventricle for Treatment of Malignant Posterior Fossa Tumors of Childhood. Principal Investigator, developed piglet and primate models for direct infusions into the fourth ventricle.
Principal Investigator of Pilot Clinical Trial at UT Houston and University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2012-present. Principal investigator of dose escalation trial at UT Houston, 2015-present. Co-Principal Investigator of clinical trial for infusion of natural killer cells into fourth ventricle, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer center, 2015-present.
Convection-Enhanced Delivery for the Treatment of Diffuse Pontine Gliomas. Co-investigator; demonstrated safety and determined distribution parameters for brain stem infusions in a rat model.
Novel Optical Guidance for Surgical Resection of Pediatric Neoplastic and Epileptogenic Brain Lesions. Co-investigator, investigating intraoperative optical imaging techniques.
- Alexiades NG, Shao B, Ahn ES, Blount JP, Brockmeyer DL, Hankinson TC, Nevsick CL, Sandberg DI, Heuer GG, Saiman L, Feldstein NA, Anderson RCE. High prevalence of gram-negative and multiorganism surgical site infection after pediatric complex tethered spinal cord surgery: a multicenter study. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2022 Jul 22;1-7. Online ahead of print.
- Fairchild B, Cepeda A Jr, Maiorino e, Shah MN, Sandberg DI, Fletcher SA, Nguyen PD, Greives M. Back to the Beginning: An Algorithmic Approach to Neonatal Myelomeningocele Repair. Ann Plast Surg 2022;89(1):82-88.
- Hoffman C, Hartl R, Shlobin NA, Tshimbombu TN, Albabaa SK, Haglund MM, Rubiano AM, Dewan MC, Stippler M, Mahmud MR, Wohns R, Shabani HK, Rocque B, Sandberg DI, Lafuente J, Dempsey R, Rosseau G. Future Directions for Global Clinical Neurosurgical Training: Challenges and Opportunities. World Neurosurgery. 2022 19 Jul. Epub ahead of print.
- Zima LA, Belal Am, Sandberg DI. Choroid Plexus cauterization to treat inadequate abdominal cerebrospinal fluid absorption: case report. Childs Nerv Syst. 2022;(38):817-820.
- Steinbok P, Cheong A, Dix DB, Bhatia S, Handler MH, Limbrick DD Jr, Niazi T, Price AV, Ragheb J, Souweidane M, Tamber MS, Sandberg DI. Nonoperative Management of Childhood Calvarial Langerhans-Cell Histiocytosis. N Engl J Med 2022;386(26):2532-2534.
- Majd NK, Mastall M, Lin H, Dibaj SS, Kess KR, Yuan Y, Garcia MM, Fuller GN, Alfaro KD, Gule-Monroe MK, Huse JT, Khatua S, Rao G, Sandberg DI, Wefel JS, Yeboa DN, Paulino AC, McGovern SL, Zaky W, Mahajan A, Suki D, Weathers SP, Harriso RA, De Groo JF, Pudavali VK, Penas-Prado M. Clinical Characterization of Adult Medulloblastoma and the Effect of FirstLine Therapies on Outcome; The MD Anderson Cancer Center Experience. Neurooncol Adv. 2021;3(1).
- Watkins MW, Shah EG, Funke ME, Garcia-Tarodo S, Shah MN, Tandon N, Maestu F, Laohathai C, Sandberg DI, Lankford J, Thompson S, Mosher J, Von Allmen G. Indications for Inpatient Magnetoencephalography in Children – An Institution’s Experience. Front Hum Neurosci. 2021 Jun 4;15:667777.
- Fairchild B, Cepeda A Jr, Maiorino E, Shah MN, Sandberg DI, Fletcher SA, Nguyen PD, Greives M. Back to the Beginning: An Algorithmic Approach to Neonatal Myelomeningocele Repair. Ann Plast Surg. 2021. Online ahead of print.
- Fotso C, Sandberg DI. Spontaneous Resolution of Large Subdural Hematoma with Midline Shift: A Case Report. Childs Nerv Syst. 2021;37:703-705.
- Watkins MW, Shah EG, Funke ME, Garcia-Torodo S, Shah MN, Tandon N, Maestu F, Laohathai C, Sandberg DI, Lankford J, Thompson S, Mosher J, Von Allmen G. Indications for Inpatient Magnetoencephalogaphy in Children: An Institution’s Experience. Front Hum Neurosci. 2021;15:667777.
- Zima LA, Belal Am, Sandberg DI. Choroid Plexus cauterization to treat inadequate abdominal cerebrospinal fluid absorption: case report. Childs Nerv Syst. 2021. Online ahead of print.
- Fowler MJ, Cotter JD, Knight BE, Sevick-Muraca EM, Sandberg DI, Sirianni RW. Intrathecal drug delivery in the era of nanomedicine. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2020;(165-166):77-95.
- Iqbal F, Ballester LY, Akash N, Sandberg DI, Bhattacharjee MB. 5 Year-Old with worsening seizure disorder. Brain Pathol . 2020;30(3):717-718.
- Khatua S, Cooper LJN, Sandberg DI, Ketonen L, Johnson JM, Rytting ME, Liu DD, Meador H, Trikha P, Nakkula RJ, Behbehani GK, Ragoonanan D, Gupta S, Kotrotsou A, Idris T, Shpall EJ, Rezvani K, Colen R, Zaky W, Lee DA, Gopalakrishnan V. Phase I study of intraventricular infusions of autologous ex-vivo expanded NK cells in children with recurrent medulloblastoma and ependymoma. Neuro Oncol. 2020;222(8):1214-1225.
- Lopez-Rivera V, Sheriff FG, Sandberg DI, Blackburn S, Dannenbaum M, Sheth SA, Day AL, Chen PR. De novo thalamic arteriovenous malformation in a boy with a brainstem cavernous malformation. Clin Neurosci. 2020;76:226-228.
- Madsen JR, Boyle TP, Neuman MI, Park E, Tamber MS, Hickey RW, Heuer GG, Zorc JJ, Leonard JR, Leonard JC, Keating R, Chamberlain JM, Frim DM, Zakrzewski P, Klinge P, Merck LH, Piatt J, Bennett JE, Sandberg DI, Boop FA, Hameed MQ. Diagnostic Accuracy of Non-Invasive Thermal Evaluation of Ventriculoperitoneal Shunt Flow in Shunt Malfunction: A Prospective, Multi-Site, Operator-Blinded Study. Neurosurgery. 2020;87(5): 939-948, 2020.
- Melin AA, Moffitt J, Hopkins DC, Shah MN, Sandberg DI, Teichgraeber JF, Greives MR. Is Less Actually More? An Evaluation of Surgical Outcomes Between Endocopic Suturectomy and Open Cranial Vault Remodeling for Craniosynostosis. J Craniofac Surg. 2020;31(4):924-926.
- Mullarkey MP, Nehme G, Modiuddin S, Ballester LY, Bhattacharjee MB, Trivedi D, Shah MN, Fuller GN, Zaky W, Sandberg DI. Posttreatment Maturation of Medulloblastoma into Gangliocytoma: Report of 2 Cases. Pediatr Neurosurg. 2020;3:1-10.
- Sandberg DI, Kharas N, Yu B, Janssen CF, Trimble A, Ballester LY, Patel R, Mohammad AS, Elmquist WF, Sirianni RW. “High-dose MTX110 (soluble panobinostat) safely administered into the fourth ventricle in a nonhuman primate model. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2020;1:1-9.
- Trimble DJ, Parker SL, Zhu L, Cox CS, Kitagawa RS, Fletcher SA, Sandberg DI, Shah MN. Outcomes and prognostic factors of pediatric patients with a Glasgow Coma Score of 3 after blunt head trauma. Childs Nerv Syst. 2020;36 (11):2657-2665.
- Sandberg CI, Kharas N, Yu B, Janssen CF, Trimble A, Ballester LY, Patel R, Mohammad AS, Elmquist WF, Sirianni RW. High-dose MTX110 (soluble panobinostat) safely administered into the fourth ventricle in a nonhuman primate model. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2020 May 1:1-9.
- Householder KT, Dharmaraj S, Sandberg DI, Weschler-Reya RJ, Sirianni RW.
“Fate of nanoparticles in the central nervous system after intrathecal injection in healthy mice.” Sci Rep 9 (1) 12587, 2019.
- Kennis BA, Michel KA, Brugmann WB, Laureano A, Tao RH, Somanchi SS, Einstein SA, Bravo-Alegria JB, Maegawa S, Wabha A, Kiany S, Gordon N, Silla L, Schellingerhout D, Khatua S, Zaky W, Sandberg D, Cooper L, Lee DA, Bankson JA, Gopalakrishnan V. “Monitoring of Intracerebellarly-Administered Natural Killer Cells with Fluorine-19 MRI. J Neurooncol, Epub ahead of print, 2019.
- Sandberg DI, Yu B, Patel R, Hagan J, Miesner E, Sabin J, Smith S, Fletcher S, Shah MN, Sirianni RW, Taylor MD. “Infusion of 5-Azacytidine (5-AZA) into the fourth ventricle or tumor resection cavity in children with recurrent posterior fossa ependymoma: a pilot clinical trial.” J Neurooncol, 141 (2)” 448-457, 2019.
- Brewer JW Jr, Cox CS, Fletcher SA, Shah MN, Sandberg DI. “Analysis of Pediatric Gunshot Wounds in Houston, Texas: A Social Perspective.” J
Pedatr Surg, EPub ahead of print, 2018.
- Alexiades NG, Ahn ES, Blount JP, Brockmeyer DL, Browd SR, Heuer GG, Hankinson TC, Iskandar BJ, Jea A, Krieger MD, Leonard JR, Limbrick DD Jr, Maher CO, Proctor MR, Sandberg DI, Wellons JC 3rd, Shao B, Feldstein NA, Anderson RCE. “Development of Best Practices to Minimize Wound Complications After Complex Tethered Spinal Cord Surgery: A Modified Delphi Study.” J Neurosurg Pediatr.22 (6): 701-709, 2018.
- Herbert JP, Venkataraman SS, Turkmani AH, Zhu L, Kerr ML, Patel RP, Ugalde IT, Fletcher SA, Sandberg DI, Cox CS Jr., Kitagawa RS, Day AL, Shah MN. “Pediatric Blunt Cerebrovascular Injury: the McGovern Screening Score.” J Neurosurg Pediatr. 16: 1-11, 2018.
- Patel RP, Sitton CW, Ketonen LM, Hou P, Johnson JM, Romo S, Fletcher S, Shah MN, Kerr M, Zaky W, Rytting ME, Khatua S, Sandberg DI. “Phase-Contrast Cerebrospinal Fluid Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Qualitative Evaluation of Patency of CSF Flow Pathways Prior to Infusion of Chemotherapeutic and Other Agents into the Fourth Ventricle.” Childs Nerv Syst 34 (3): 481-486, 2018.
- Martinez CI, Fletcher S, Shah MN, Kerr ML, Sandberg DI. “Survey of Techniques Utilized to Access Ventricular Shunts and Reservoirs.” Pediatr Neurosurg, 52 (4): 250-256, 2017
- Gu JL, Johnson A, Kerr M, Moise KJ, Bebbington MW, Pedroza C, Sandberg DI. “Correlating Prenatal Imaging Findings of Fetal Ventriculomegaly with the Need for Surgical Intervention in the First 3 Months After Birth.” Pediatr Neurosurg; 52 (1): 20-25, 2017.
- Austin MT, Hamilton E, Zebda D, Nguyen H, Eberth JM, Chang Y, Elting LS, Sandberg DI. “Health Disparities and Impact on Outcomes in Children with Primary Central Nervous System Solid Tumors.” J Neurosurg Pediatr 19:1-9, 2016.
- Srihawan C, Castelblanco RL, Salazar L, Wootton SJ, Aguilera E, Ostrosky-Zeichner L, Sandberg DI, Choi H, Lee K, Kitagawa R, Tandon N, Hasburn R. “Clinical Characteristics and Predictors of Adverse Outcome in Adult and Pediatric Patients with Healthcare-Associated Ventriculitis and Meningitis.” Open Forum Infec Dis 13 (3): 77, 2016.
- Fu KJ, Barr RM, Shah MN, Fletcher SA, Sandberg DI, Teichgraeber JF, Greives MR. “An Outcomes Comparison Between Autologous and Alloplastic Cranioplasty in the Pediatric Population.” J Craniofac Surg 27 (3):593-597, 2016.
- Sandberg DI, Kerr ML. “Ventricular Access Device Placement in the Fourth Ventricle to Treat Malignant Fourth Ventricle Brain Tumors: Technical Note.” Child’s Nerv Syst. 32 (4): 703-7, 2016
- Sandberg DI. “Endoscopic Resection of Intraventricular Brain Tumors in Children.” World Neurosurgery 89:708-9, 2016.
- Sandberg DI, Rytting M, Zaky W, Kerr M, Ketonen L, Kundu U, Moore BD, Yang G, Hou P, Sitton C, Cooper LJ, Gopalakrishnan V, Lee DA, Thall PF, Khatua S. “Methotrexate Administration Directly into the Fourth Ventricle in Children with Malignant Fourth Ventricle Brain Tumors: A Pilot Clinical Trial.” J Neurooncol, 125(1): 133-141, 2015.
- Arrey EN, Kerr ML, Fletcher S, Cox CS, Sandberg DI. “Linear Non-Displaced Skull Fractures in Children: Who should be observed or admitted?” J Neurosurg Pediatrics, accepted for publication 2015.
- Luna B, Bhatia S, Yoo C, Felty Q, Sandberg DI, Duchowny M, Khatib Z, Miller I, Ragheb J, Prassana J, Roy D. “Proteomic and Mitochondrial Genomic Analyses of Pediatric Brain Tumors. Molec Neurobiol 2014, Epub ahead of print.
- Cykowski MD, Hicks J, Sandberg DI, Olar A, Bridge JA, Greipp PT, Navarro P, Kolodziej S, Bhattacharjee MB. “Brain Metastasis of Crystal-Deficient, CD68-Positive Alveolar Soft Part Sarcoma: Ultrastructural Features and Differential Diagnosis. Ultrastruc Pathol 30:1-9, 2014.
- Chance A, Sandberg DI. “Hydrocephalus in patients with closed neural tube defects.” Childs Nerv Syst 3(2):; 329-332, 2014.
- Luna B, Bhatia S, Yoo C, Felty Q, Sandberg DI, Duchowny M, Khatib Z, Miller I, Ragheb J, Prasanna J, Roy D. “Bayesian Network and Mechanistic Hierarchical Structure Modeling of Increased likelihood of Developing Intractable Childhood Epilepsy from the Combined Effect of mtDNA Variants, Oxidative Damage, and Copy Number.” J Mol Neurosci 54 (4): 752-766, 2014.
- Chamiraju P, Bhatia S, Sandberg DI, Ragheb J. “Endoscopic third ventriculostomy and choroid plexus cauterization in posthemorrhagic hydrocephalus of prematurity. J Neurosurg Pediatrics 13 (4):433-439, 2014.
- De Angulo G, Nair S, Lee V, Khatib Z, Ragheb J, Sandberg DI. “Nonoperative management of solitary eosinophilic granulomas of the calvaria.” J Neurosurg Pediatrics 12 (1):1-5, 2013.
- Esquenazi Y, Sandberg DI, Rekate HL. “Successful treatment of hyperphagia by resection of a hypothalamic hamartoma.” J Neurosurg Pediatrics 11:630-634, 2013.
- Mazur LJ, Khatua S, Sandberg DI. Unilateral amaurosis in a teenager with spina bifida and a ventriculoperitoneal shunt. Consultant for Pediatricians: 424-6, 2013.
- Ahmad F, Rosenblum MK, Chamyan G, Sandberg DI. “Infiltrative brainstem and cerebellar neurocytoma.” J Neurosurg Pediatrics 2012, epub ahead of print.
- Sandberg DI, Chamiraju P, Zoeller G, Bhatia S, Ragheb J. “Endoscopic Choroid Plexus Coagulation in Infants with Hydranencephaly or Hydrocephalus with a Minimal Cortical Mantle.” Pediatric Neurosurgery, 48: 6-12, 2012.
- Sandberg DI, Peet MM, Johnson MD, Cole P, Koru-Sengul T, Luqman AW. “Chemotherapy administration directly into the fourth ventricle in a nonhuman primate model.” J Neurosurg Pediatrics 9: 530-541, 2012.
- Benglis Jr. D, Covington D, Bhatia R, Bhatia S, Elhammady MS, Ragheb J, Morrison G, Sandberg DI. “Outcomes in Pediatric Patients with Chiari Malfomation Type I Followed Up Without Surgery.” J Neurosurg Pediatrics 7:375-379, 2011.
- Sandberg DI, Solano J, Petito CK, Mian A, Mou C, Koru-Sengul T, Gonzalez-Brito M, Padgett KR, Luqman A, Buitrago JC, Alam F, Wilkerson JR, Crandall KM, Kuluz JM. “Safety and Pharmacokinetic Analysis of Methotrexate Administered Directly into the Fourth Ventricle in a Piglet Model.” J Neurooncol 100:397-406, 2010.
- Zoeller GK, Brathwaite CD, Sandberg DI. “Malignant Transformation of an Optic Pathway Glioma Without Prior Radiation Therapy.” J Neurosurg Pediatrics 5(5): 507-510, 2010
- Johnson J, Ragheb J, Garg R, Patten W, Sandberg DI, Bhatia S. “Neurogenic Stunned Myocardium After Acute Hydrocephalus.” J Neurosurg Pediatrics 5(5): 428-33, 2010.
- Ahmad F, Sandberg DI. “Endoscopic Management of Intraventricular Brain Tumors in Pediatric Patients: A Review of Indications, Techniques, and Outcomes.” J Child Neurol 25(3): 359-367, 2010.
- Sandberg DI, Crandall KM, Koru-Sengul T, Padgett KR, Landrum J, Babino D, Petito CK, Solano J, Gonzalez-Brito M, Kuluz JW. “Pharmacokinetic Analysis of Etoposide Distribution after Administration Directly into the Fourth Ventricle in a Piglet Model.” J Neurooncol 97 (1): 25-32, 2010.
- Lin WC, Sandberg DI, Bhatia S, Johnson M, Morrison G, Ragheb J. “Optical Spectroscopy for In-vitro Differentiation of Pediatric Neoplastic and Epileptogenic Brain Lesions.” J Biomed Opt 14(1): 014028, 2009.
- Covington DB, Rosenblum MK, Brathwaite CD, Sandberg DI. “Angiocentric Glioma-like Tumor of the Midbrain.” Pediatric Neurosurgery 45: 229-433, 2009.
- Lin WC, Sandberg DI, Bhatia S, Johnson M, Morrison G, Ragheb J. “Optical Spectroscopy for In-vitro Differentiation of Pediatric Neoplastic and Epileptogenic Brain Lesions.” J Biomed Opt 14(1): 014028, 2009.
- Sandberg DI, Heros RC. “Influence of Protein, Red Blood Cell Count, and Surgical Site on Shunt Performance Following Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage.” J Neurosurg 109 (6): 998-999, 2008.
- Bhatia S, Ragheb J, Johnson M, Oh S, Sandberg DI, Lin WC. “The Role of Optical Spectroscopy in Epilepsy Surgery in Children.” Neurosurgery Focus 25(3):E24, 2008.
- Elhammady MSA, Benglis DM, Bhatia S, Sandberg DI, Ragheb J. “Ventriculoatrial Shunt Catheter Displacement in a Child with Partial Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return.” J Neurosurg Pediatrics 2:68-70, 2008.
- Sandberg DI, Crandall KM, Petito CK, Padgett KR, Landrum J, Babino D, He D, Solano J, Gonzalez-Brito M, Kuluz JW. “Chemotherapy Administration Directly into the Fourth Ventricle in a New Piglet Model.” J Neurosurg Pediatrics 1: 373-380, 2008.
- Crandall KM, Pacheco-Jacome EP, Sandberg DI. “Delayed Presentation and Conservative Management of an Odontoid Basilar Synchondrosis Fracture in a Child.” J Neurosurg Pediatrics 1: 402-405, 2008.
- Berry C, Sandberg DI, Hoh DJ, Krieger MD, McComb JG. “Use of Cranial Fixation Pins in Pediatric Neurosurgery.” Neurosurgery 62: 913-919, 2008.
- Wykoff CC, Lam BL, Brathwaite CD, Biegel JA, McKeown CA, Rosenblum MK, Allewelt HB, Sandberg DI. “Atypical Teratoid/Rhabdoid Tumor Arising from the Third Cranial Nerve.” J Neuro-Ophthalmology, 28: 207-211, 2008.
- Sandberg DI. “Endoscopic Management of Hydrocephalus in Pediatric Patients: A Review of Indications, Techniques, and Outcomes.” J Child Neurology 23(5): 550-560, 2008.
- Benglis DM, Sandberg DI. “Acute Neurological Deficit After Minor Trauma in an Infant With Achondroplasia and Cervicomendullary Compression.” J Neurosurg ( 2 Suppl Pediatrics) 107: 152-155, 2007.
- Sandberg DI, Navarro R, Blanch J, Ragheb J. “Anomalous Venous Drainage Preventing Safe Posterior Fossa Decompression in Patients with Chiari Malformation Type I and Multisutural Craniosynostosis.” J Neurosurg (4 Suppl Pediatrics) 106: 490-494, 2007.
- Trombly R, Sandberg DI, Wolfe SA, Ragheb J. “High-flow Orbital Arteriovenous Malformation in a child: case report and review of current management options.” J Craniofacial Surgery 17(4): 779-782, 2006.
- Nimmagadda A, Sandberg DI, Ragheb J. “Spontaneous Involution of a Large Pineal Region Hemorrhagic Cyst in an Infant.” J Neurosurg (4 Suppl Pediatrics) 104: 275-278, 2006.
- Sandberg DI, McComb JG, Krieger MD. “Chemical Analysis of Fluid Obtained From Intracranial Arachnoid Cysts in Pediatric Patients.” J Neurosurg (5 Suppl Pediatrics) 103: 427-432, 2005.
- Sandberg DI, McComb JG, Krieger MD. “Craniotomy for Fenestration of Multiloculated Hydrocephalus in Pediatric Patients.” Neurosurgery 57 (1 Suppl.):100-106, 2005.
- Sandberg DI, Ragheb J, Dunoyer D, Bhatia S, Olavarria G, Morrison G. “Surgical Outcomes and Seizure Control Rates After Resection of Dysembryoplastic Neuroepithelial Tumors.” Neurosurg Focus 18 (6a): E5, 2005.
- Sandberg DI, Bilsky MH, Kushner BH, Souweidane MM, Kramer KK, Laquaglia MP, Panageas KS, Cheung NK-V. “Treatment of Spinal Involvement in Neuroblastoma Patients.” Pediatric Neurosurgery 39: 291-298, 2003.
- Occhiogrosso G, Edgar MA, Sandberg DI, Souweidane MM. “Prolonged Convection-Enhanced Delivery into the Rat Brainstem.” Neurosurgery 52: 388-394, 2003.
- Sandberg DI, Edgar MA, Souweidane MM. ”Effect of Hyperosmolar Mannitol on Convection-Enhanced Delivery into the Rat Brain Stem.” J Neuro-Oncology 58: 187-192, 2002.
- Sandberg DI, Edgar MA, Souweidane MM. ”Convection-Enhanced Delivery into the Rat Brain Stem. “ J Neurosurg 96: 885-891, 2002.
- Sandberg DI, Lamberti-Pasculli M, Drake JM, Humphreys RP, Rutka JT. “Spontaneous Intraparenchymal Hemorrhage in Full-term Neonates.” Neurosurgery 48: 1042-1049, 2001.
- Sandberg DI, Edgar MA, Resch L, Rutka JT, Becker LE, Souweidane MM. “MIB-1 Staining Index of Pediatric Meningiomas.” Neurosurgery 48: 590-597, 2001.
- Bilsky MH, Schefler AC, Sandberg DI, Dunkel IJ, Rosenblum M. “Sclerosing Epithelioid Fibrosarcomas Involving the Neuraxis: Report of Three Cases.” Neurosurgery 47: 956-960, 2000.
- Souweidane M, Sandberg D, Bilsky M, Gutin P. “Endoscopic Biopsy of Tumors of the Third Ventricle.” Pediatr Neurosurg 33: 132-137, 2000.
- Sandberg DI, Bilsky MH, Souweidane MM, Bzdil J, Gutin PH. “Ommaya Reservoirs for the Treatment of Leptomeningeal Metastases. Neurosurgery 47: 49-55, 2000.
- Sandberg DI, Souweidane MM. “Hemifacial Spasm Caused by a Pilocytic Astrocytoma of the Fourth Ventricle.” Pediatr Neurol 21: 754-756, 1999.
- Sandberg DI, Souweidane MM. “Endoscopic-Guided Proximal Catheter Placement in Treatment of Posterior Fossa Cysts.” Pediatr Neurosurg 30: 180-185, 1999.
- Sandberg DI, Lavyne MH: “Symptomatic Spinal Epidural Lipomatosis After Local Epidural Steroid Injections: Case Report.” Neurosurgery 45: 162-165, 1999.
- Frucht DM, Sandberg DI, Brown MR, Gerstberger SM, Holland SM. “IL-12-Independent Costimulation Pathways for Interferon-Gamma Production in Familial Disseminated Mycobacterium Avium Complex Infection. Clin Immunol 91(2): 234-41, 1999.