Summer Research Programs
The Summer Research Program provides U.S. undergraduate students and McGovern Medical School first-year medical school students with hands-on laboratory research experience supervised by MMS and faculty members throughout the medical and dental schools of UTHealth. The internships are ten weeks in duration and are directed and administered by UTHealth faculty and staff. Each student is required to write an abstract of research performed during the summer. Scheduled events that supplement the research experience include weekly seminars; certification courses in animal science: laboratory safety and radiation; an enrichment series; and tours of selected facilities and labs. You must be available to begin on the first day of the program, May 23, 2023.
College Undergraduate Students
Application period is December 1 – February 1 (11:59 pm CST) each year. You will not be able to submit applications before this time. Supporting documents, including letters of reference and transcripts, must be submitted on-line along with your application by February 1.
UT Health offers two summer research programs for undergraduate students. Program choice depends on the student’s research interests and career goals. Each program is 10 weeks in length and has a separate application process. Faculty mentors for all three programs are located in the McGovern Medical School and the Institute for Molecular Medicine.
- MedSURP – The MedSURP program is directed at students with a strong interest in obtaining an M.D. in any discipline in medical research. Stipends for this 10-week program are $3,000. Read More>>
- NOTE: We do not anticipate a 2023 Summer Program for “MedSURP” students. MedSURP students should directly reach out to your faculty of interest. Click on this link to view previous year’s list of Faculty Mentors. Should you found a mentor match your mentor department will handle your application process. Please check with your mentor. Your application will either go through Human Resources as a “Seasonal Hire” title or as a “Visiting Student”. You will only be able to fill out the application through one of these two options.
- GradSURP – The GradSURP program is directed at students with a strong interest in obtaining a PhD. in any discipline in biomedical science.
- MicroSURP – The microSURP program is directed at students with a strong interest in obtaining a Ph.D. who are interested in microbiology research.
- School of Dentistry (SOD) – The SOD program is directed at students with a strong interest in obtaining a DDS or DDM who are interested in dental research.
- Mandatory attendance at orientation.
- Attendance at weekly enrichment seminar-series lectures (written assignment required for missed lectures – no more than one absence allowed).
- Completion of 10-week program (encompasses 40-hour work week; no vacation is to be scheduled during the program with exception of May 25th holiday and July 4th holiday).
- Completion of lecturer and program evaluations.
- Abstract submission.
- Mandatory attendance at closing program.
McGovern Medical School MS-1 Medical Students
Application period is December 1 – February 1 (11:59 pm CST) each year (extended deadline to February 20th for summer 2023) – Supporting documents must be received by this date.
Senior Program Manager: Linh Trinh
Summer Research Program
6431 Fannin JJL 315B
Houston TX 77030