The Department of Anesthesiology at McGovern Medical School offers a one-year fellowship in Neuroanesthesia. Memorial Hermann—Texas Medical Center is one of the largest Level I trauma centers in the nation and the largest stroke center in the city. The fellow will be exposed to various types of elective and emergent intracranial and spine procedures which include aneurysm clippings, AVM resections, tumor resections, awake craniotomies, functional neurosurgical procedures, as well as neurointerventional procedures. Current procedural caseloads average greater than 2,000 per year. Eight operating rooms and two endovascular suites are presently the dedicated anesthetizing locations specific to neurosurgery.
The fellowship includes one month spent in the Neuro ICU and two months dedicated to research. Start dates for the fellowship are in August.
- Complete a thorough preoperative assessment of the patient with cerebrovascular disease, intracranial pathology, or spinal cord disease coupled with an understanding of patient-specific medical and surgical considerations to produce a rational anesthetic plan
- Manage patients with cerebrovascular, intracranial, or spinal cord disease for elective neurologic surgery
- Display sound differential diagnosis and a management plan for intraoperative emergencies specific to the patient with neurologic disease or undergoing neurosurgery
- Sound knowledge of anesthesia, resuscitation, and hemodynamic medication pharmacology as it applies to the patient with various forms of neurological disease
- Complete understanding of optimum hemodynamic parameters for all forms of neurological disease, acute and chronic spinal cord injuries, and cerebrovascular diseases
- Complete understanding of interactions between major neurological pathologies, anesthetic techniques, and the unique surgical procedures specific to the neurological patient
- Opportunity to initiate and participate in research projects
Interested applicants should contact our Senior Residency and Fellowship Program Manager, Marshandra Cooper at 713-500-6113 or via email at Marshandra.Cooper@uth.tmc.edu.
|Shobana Rajan, MD
Program Director, Neuroanesthesiology Fellowship
Director, Neuroanesthesia Education
Associate Professor, Department Anesthesiology