Please download the latest Acrobat Reader to view the files below.
McGovern Medical School welcomes visiting senior medical students to its senior elective program.
Full instructions here.
McGovern Medical School uses VSAS, the Visiting Student Application Service, to receive visiting student applications for the 2016-2017 academic year. Applications may be submitted through VSAS starting on May 1, 2016. Students will be notified of their acceptance via email sometime in June after McGovern students are placed. To apply to our institution, please complete and send us a VSAS application for your preferred electives and dates.
For more information on our visiting student electives, please contact Jamie Munsinger at Jamie.D.Munsinger@uth.tmc.edu or 713-500-5167.
For more information on VSAS, please visit www.aamc.org/vsas or contact VSAS at email@example.com or (202) 478-9878.
Full instructions here.
APC SELECTIVES ARE NOT OPEN TO VISITING STUDENTS
The electives are one-month in duration beginning on the first day of each calendar month and ending on the last day of that month. Visiting students are limited to no more than two (2) one-month electives. Approval to rotate at McGovern Medical School is granted solely by the Office of Student Affairs. Approvals obtained directly from department coordinators will not be honored.
If you are applying for the senior year beginning July 2016, you should know that departments do not review elective applications until UT-HMS students’ schedules are finalized which will occur by the end of May 2016. After that time all applications will be processed as soon as all the required materials and verifications are received. International students are not accepted for the month of July, August, or September.
The following must be ORIGINAL documents in English. Fax copies will NOT be accepted.
- Official medical school transcript. (Must list courses taken and notation of level of achievement in each course.)
- Dean’s letter and two clinical faculty letters of recommendation.
- Please provide a copy of your official USMLE Step 1 score report to include all pages.
- Verification that you have completed all your clinical rotations which include OB/GYN, Pediatrics, Surgery, Psychiatry, Internal Medicine, and Family Medicine.
- Verification of malpractice insurance coverage (available thru McGovern Medical School for a small fee if your school does not cover you for electives at other institutions). If purchasing through McGovern Medical School, you must submit a letter with your application stating that you will purchase coverage on your first day.
- Verification of immunizations, including the completion of Hepatitis B vaccination series or proof of immunity.
- You will be required to have health insurance coverage with medical evacuation and repatriation- please send a copy of this coverage with your application. If you prefer you could purchase it through The McGovern Medical School on your first day during orientation. The cost for health insurance is currently $185 (USD) per month but subject to change. This will also include medical evacuation and repatriation coverage. Please attach a letter with your application stating you will purchase McGovern Medical School’s health insurance and medical evacuation / repatriation coverage.
- If you are attending medical school in a country whose official language is NOT English, you must provide either a notarized statement that English is your native language OR a certificate of completion of a course in the English language stating your proficiency in written and spoken English.
- A $350 (USD) per month non-refundable application fee for each application. Application fee must be paid using a money order drawn on a U.S. bank and made payable to “UT-HSC”. Please do not send personal check or cash. There is a $100 (USD) charge for any change to your approved application, and requires a new application form to be submitted with payment.
- Imprint of your official school seal is required on the application.
- All above mentioned documents and application fee must be received in the Office of Student Affairs at least four months before the requested elective start date.
- Upon approval for a medical elective and in accordance with university policies and federal regulations, all non-U.S. citizens must follow directions from the University of Texas Office of International Affairs. Upon acceptance for a medical elective an international visitor advisor from The University of Texas Office of International Affairs will contact you to provide you with vital information on how to apply for your F-1 Student Visa, which is the ONLY (student) visa accepted by this institution. If your visa is granted, your first obligation under the F-1 visa mandates a visit to the University of Texas Office of International Affairs upon your arrival in Houston.
If you need further information, please contact Jamie Munsinger at (713) 500-5167 or Jamie.firstname.lastname@example.org.
A listing of open courses can be found by selecting the department listed below, and then clicking on the Open Sections link.
- INFD 4001 Combined Pediatric and Adult Infectious Diseases Memorial Hermann and LBJ Hospitals
- INFD 4002 Pediatric Infectious Diseases Memorial Hermann and LBJ Hospitals
- INFD 4003 Adult Infectious Diseases Memorial Hermann Hospital
- INFD 4010 Ambulatory HIV/AIDS — Thomas Street Clinic
- INFD 4011 Bacterial and Hospital Acquired Infections
- INTM 4002 Ambulatory Internal Medicine
- INTM 4004 Cardiology — Memorial Hermann Hospital
- INTM 4005 Endocrinology Clinical Elective
- INTM 4018 Cardiac Electrophysiology
- INTM 4022 Geriatrics/Palliative Care
- INTM 4023 Pulmonary Medicine Consultation Elective
- INTM 4024 Rheumatology Clinical Elective
- INTM 4026 Gastroenterology Clinical Elective – Memorial Hermann
- INTM 4033 Preventive Cardiology
- INTM 4045 Sleep Medicine
- INTM 4049 Senior Elective In Hematology
- INTM 4053 Cardiology – MD Anderson Cancer Center
- INTM 4057 Hyperbaric Medicine
- INTM 4058 Medical Oncology
- INTM 4059 Intensive Care Nephrology
- INTM 4060 Renal Transplant Service
- OBGY 4002 Gynecologic Oncology – MD Anderson Cancer Center
- OBGY 4004 Primary Care Preceptorship In Obstetrics & Gynecology
- OBGY 4006 Externship In Obstetrics
- OBGY 4007 High Risk Obstetric/Maternal Fetal Medicine
- OBGY 4008 Obstetric & Gynecologic Ultrasound
- OBGY 4009 Clinical Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility
- OBGY 4016 Externship In Gynecology & Gynecologic Oncology
- OBGY 4017 Clinical Externship In Obstetrics & Gynecology – St. Joseph Hosp
- OBGY 4025 Obstetrics Inpatient & Ambulatory Preceptorship/LBJ Hospital
- OBGY 4026 Gynecology Inpatient & Ambulatory Preceptorship/LBJ Hospital
- PED 4002 Pediatric Cardiology
- PED 4003 Pediatric Endocrinology
- PED 4006 Pediatric Nephrology
- PED 4013 Pediatric Hematology
- PED 4014 Pediatric Oncology
- PED 4016 Harris County CPS Medical Clinic
- PED 4017 Child Abuse Pediatrics
- PED 4018 Genetics
- PED 4019 Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition
- PED 4034 Pediatric Allergy/Immunology and Rheumatology
- PED 4035 Pediatric Pulmonology
- PED 4037 Adolescent Medicine
- PSYC 4007 Consultation/Liaison Psychiatry
- PSYC 4009 Dual Diagnosis and Substance Abuse
- PSYC 4025 Psychopharmacology
- PSYC 4027 Child Psychiatry
- PSYC 4031 Consultation Child Psychiatry & Outpatient
- PSYC 4040 Emergency Psychiatry
- PSYC 4043 Administrative Psychiatry
- PSYC 4044 Treatment Refractory Mood Disorders
- SURG 4004 Sub-Internship at LBJ General Hospital
- SURG 4011 Pediatric Surgery
- SURG 4016 Reconstructive Microsurgery of the Cancer Patient
- SURG 4019 General & Trauma Surgery Memorial Hermann Hospital
- SURG 4034 Outpatient Surgery/Ambulatory Care – LBJ Hospital
- SURG 4038 Abdominal Transplant Surgery
- SURG 4039 Vascular Surgery Sub-Internship
- SURG 4040 General Surgery – Moody West