What is SCoPE?
SCoPE is the Student Committee on Professionalism and Ethics. The committee is comprised of six students from each class MS 2-4, whose purpose is to promote a culture of professionalism and ethics at McGovern Medical School.
Mission of SCoPE
To promote the learning of the practice of medicine beyond medical knowledge to embrace the foundational ideals of physician professionalism and integrity, and to encourage respect and compassion for our future patients, colleagues, and ourselves.
What Does SCoPE Do?
SCoPE has three main objectives:
- Weigh in on misconduct cases in the realm of professionalism and ethics.
- Act as confidential sounding board for students on issues of ethics and professionalism
- Develop student-led initiatives to promote professional identity development
What are our Current Initiatives?
Initiatives to promote professional identity development include:
- National guest lecturers on medical professionalism
- Excellence in Ethics and Professionalism Award
- Class presentations on ethics and professionalism
- Research on student professionalism and medical school culture
Recognize a Student
Nominate a fellow student who represents the essence of professionalism and ethics that you feel should be embodied at McGovern Medical school for the Excellence in Ethics and Professionalism Award. Please note the Excellence in Ethics and Professional Award nomination process occurs once each semester.
Have you experienced or witnessed student mistreatment? Reports of abuse or mistreatment may be made directly through the MMS Student Mistreatment Hotline at 1-844-473-4839, to or through the Compliance Report website (click button below).
Both the MMS Student Mistreatment Hotline and the Compliance Report website allow for anonymous reporting of concerns. Click here to learn more about anonymous reporting and the definition of mistreatment.
Anonymously Report Student Mistreatment
Apply to be a Member of SCoPE
In order to be eligible, you must be a second-year student in good academic standing. Notifications and information for the upcoming application process for the Class of 2022 will be sent out in late summer 2019.
|Class of 2020|
|Class of 2021|