Image-Guided Procedures for Back Pain

Answer: Thank you for contacting the Head, Neck and Spine Imaging Ask an Expert Forum. In order to individualize a response to you, we would need more about your history, such as what treatments you have tried in the past, more about how your walking is being affected and what differences and possible explanation for the differences between the right and left legs.

However, we can make a few general comments that might be helpful. Our experts feel that you should think about getting a second opinion, possibly from a Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) physician. When it comes to back problems, the imaging results are often not the whole story, and need to be used together with a good physical evaluation. Other imaging tests that we can offer would include CT or MR myelogram. We also offer imaging-based therapeutic interventions such as epidural steroid injection, which might be recommended to you. The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery has a variety of specialists, or call the UT Spine and Scoliosis Clinic, at (713) 838-8300.