Newest Faces of McGovern: Vilma Caballero

By Roman Petrowski, Office of Communications

Vilma Caballero
Vilma Caballero

What inspired you to want to pursue a career in medicine?
My interest in medicine began when I experienced how different diagnoses would affect my family. From watching my 2-week-old brother being prepped for surgery to visiting my aunt after her chemo sessions, I became intrigued about the world of medicine.

Coming from a low-income, minority-dominant community, I experienced how the lack of health insurance and lack of accessibility sped up illnesses that could have been cured with proper healthcare. Experiencing how healthcare changed in different ZIP codes helped me understand why it is important to be an advocate for those underserved through medicine.

Why did you choose McGovern Medical School?
I had always heard wonderful things about McGovern but didn’t truly understand the McGovern Medical School magic until my interview day. I recall being amazed at the introduction video that the Student Ambassadors had made and how kind everyone was.

I had a great experience with both of my interviewers, Dr. (LaTanya) Love and Dr. (Pooja) Shivshankar, both women I admire for their dedication. Once the interview day was over, I sat on my laptop for hours looking into everything else I could learn about the school. I chose McGovern because of its collaborative environment, learning opportunities, and the people, and I am more than grateful they chose me as well.

What motivates you?
I am a first-generation, low-income student who is a daughter to two Honduran immigrants. Seeing the numerous sacrifices both my parents had to make, from working overtime or multiple jobs, to saying goodbye to their families while struggling in a new country, has made me determined to give them an amazing life. I also have two siblings, Eitan and Lya, who mean the world to me. Every time I see them, I’m reminded that I want to be a role model for them. I want them to see what they can accomplish with resilience and tenacity and help them succeed.

Who is your hero?
My mother. She never ceases to amaze me with her heart of gold. My mother has supported me through everything, and there aren’t enough words for how much I appreciate her. My mother is someone who if she’s going through a challenging time, she will still smile. She is always willing to give to others.

My mother has endured various hardships, yet she still pushes through and always makes sure to be present for our family. I remember all the times she would come for award ceremonies and soccer games while exhausted from a long shift. She is the one to remind me of my worth and help me combat barriers. She has been instrumental in my successes. My mother is a warrior, and I aspire to be like her.

What is your ultimate goal for your career in medicine?
I aspire to open my own clinic and work with other physicians to provide low to no-cost healthcare to low-income, minority, and immigrant communities. These are some of the communities who experience various health disparities and deserve optimal healthcare. I would like to host community events where we can provide free resources and educate them on preventive healthcare.

What kind of emotions do you feel as you’re ready to begin medical school?
I am excited! It has been amazing being able to meet some of my fellow classmates through all the meetups that have been planned and having the opportunity to collaborate with some great individuals. I am a bit nervous about the content and rigor, but know with the support of my friends, family, faculty, and staff, I will be able to succeed. It is a moment where I should feel proud of myself for making it here and where an optimistic mindset will be essential.

What are you looking forward to most about medical school?
I look forward to all the different people I will meet! The people I’ve met so far at McGovern have all been extremely kind and hardworking. I look forward to engaging in those connections and gaining insight into an array of topics. I am excited to learn skills that I need to be able to be the physician I would like to be for my patients.

If you had to pick a medical specialty right now, what would it be and why?
I would pick pediatrics! I love working with children and seeing the way they view the world differently is astonishing to me. I feel that we have so much to learn from them and the amount of impact a physician can have on children, like my pediatricians did on me, can lead them to do remarkable things. I love the array of personalities they have and hope to have an awesome sticker collection for their visits.

To meet all of the Newest Faces of McGovern Medical School, click here.