Newest Faces of McGovern: Andy Kim

By Roman Petrowski, Office of Communications

Andy Kim
Andy Kim

What inspired you to want to pursue a career in medicine?
My interest in medicine was first spurred on during my childhood by none other than my older sister, who was diagnosed with autism.

Early on, our communication skills were nonexistent, and attempting to have conversation almost always ended in tears and frustration. However, over the years, my confusion dissipated as I found inspiration from observing the pediatricians and neurologists who cared for my sister, treating her with acceptance and compassion. I remember some of the techniques that they used: a simple click of a pen could divert her attention away from a vaccine needle, and an impromptu dance could instantly lift her mood.

My relationship with these doctors, along with the experiences with my sister, left an indelible impression on me. Before I knew it, my sister had taught me how to love limitlessly, supportively, and patiently. Combining clinical autonomy with this strong empathy is a unique privilege that the medical profession provides, and something that I continue to pursue as a future physician.

Why did you choose McGovern Medical School?
From a technical standpoint, McGovern offered everything I was looking for: active clinical locations in the TMC, numerous research opportunities, and awesome faculty to back the students when they need help. However, what really drew me in at the end was the personal interactions that I had during my interview, as well as my welcome week experience in April. All the professors that I met at McGovern are more than willing to have casual conversations despite their busy schedules. This is the same with my cohort as well, as the people I meet come in with their own interesting stories and missions to tell!

What motivates you?
My sister, my initial inspiration for medicine, is still my daily motivation factor for getting out of bed. However, I am doing this for myself as well! Learning more about the human body, especially with my classmates, gives me satisfaction and fuels my enthusiasm like no other. Medicine is a long journey to take, and each individual has their own story and goal. That is why I stick to the people closest to me to give me energy and effort to go about the day.

Who is your hero?
While I have encountered amazing mentors and teachers throughout my life, the people that I have come to respect the most are none other than my parents. Going back to my inspiration of why medicine, I wouldn’t have had the chance to develop my interests had it not been for my supportive parents. Back then I didn’t realize it, but my parents sacrificed much of their livelihood and free time to develop the resources and community necessary for my sister to thrive. Recognizing their silent and patient support for our entire family, day after day, is an inspiration and something I wish to pay back someday.

What is your ultimate goal for your career in medicine?
As a generally laid-back individual, I find that creating a lofty goal or hard-to-reach position from the start usually stunts me from making daily progress toward an achievement. This being the case, I would first like to work toward being the best physician I can be. It’s fairly wide-scoped at the moment, but it’s something that I can apply myself to every day. No matter the objective for the day, if I can be the best version of myself and provide the best care to my patients, that’s really what is needed. If I can look back tomorrow and be proud of what I am doing today, that’s all I can ask for now. My goals will be changing as I continue my years at McGovern, but I am happy with where my sights are set.

What kind of emotions do you feel as you’re ready to begin medical school?
As I am sitting here and answering this question right now, I feel a sense of restlessness and optimism. It’s like looking at a long, winding hiking trail going up a mountain and thinking, “Yeah, I’m about to do that.” It has taken a great amount of effort and attempts to get to this point, but I am ecstatic to enter this next stage of my education. I am optimistic to see how high my colleagues and I can climb facing these new challenges and opportunities. I think it’s a great place for me to be.

What are you looking forward to most about medical school?
Two things: I am looking forward to picking up a book again and meeting more of my cohort. I took a gap year to study abroad in Taiwan, so it has been a while since I have picked up a medical textbook. I am a little worried, but mostly excited about diving back into the material that I am passionate about. Additionally, it’s always fun to meet new people! It’s nice to see how easy it is to connect with others, like on the 2027 discord channel. I can’t wait to learn more about the people that I will become doctors with.

If you had to pick a medical specialty right now, what would it be and why?
The two specialties that I am most interested in are pediatrics and ophthalmology! I have had an interest in ophthalmology for a while now, especially since my entire family used to wear glasses. Hearing about LASIK and other procedures on the eye scratches that curious itch in my brain. I would love to do some research on ophthalmology while I am here at the TMC.

As for pediatrics, I had the honor of being a Fulbright scholar last year, which allowed me to travel to Taiwan for one year for cultural exchange and to teach English rurally. During my time there, I was able to make really strong connections with the locals in the community, including the students. At the school I worked at, I learned that I really enjoy working with kids, and it is something that I can see myself doing long-term too.

To meet all of the Newest Faces of McGovern Medical School, click here.