Newest Faces of McGovern: Dakhil Alim

By Roman Petrowski, Office of Communications

Dakhil Alim
Dakhil Alim

What inspired you to want to pursue a career in medicine?
I’d always been interested in the profession. My interest primarily stemmed from my view of physicians as superheroes. I’ve honestly always viewed the ability to diagnose, problem-solve, and heal as a superpower.

At the same time, there weren’t many examples of physicians who looked like me in my community, making it easy to dream about a career in medicine but simultaneously consider the reality to be far-fetched. In later years, I reached a point of self-actualization driven by financial stability and career success. I started to wonder if there was more I could do to impact my community. Recognizing the shortage of physicians in general, and African American physicians more specifically, I became inspired and motivated to look into what it would take to pursue a career as a physician.

Why did you choose McGovern Medical School?
Besides the fact that my family and I live in Houston, McGovern has the ideal balance of excellence in medical education and training combined with a collaborative, family-oriented environment. As intriguing as science, anatomy, and healthcare may be, I find humanity and relationships to be equally valuable. Throughout the interview process, various virtual meetings, the pre-interview social, and so forth, it became apparent that McGovern students, staff, and faculty all embody and share the values that matter most to me.

McGovern sits in the largest medical center in the world, which is an obvious draw. But the people you surround yourself with significantly impact your ability to succeed, thrive, and feel at home. The Texas Medical Center was somewhere I wanted to learn and be trained. McGovern was somewhere I wanted to unite with others, share in struggles and triumphs, and grow.

What motivates you?
I’ve always been self-motivated, but when it comes to medicine, I am primarily motivated by the prospect of being someone that patients, colleagues, and my community can depend on. Learning and practicing medicine is a privilege that I refuse to take lightly. I can’t think of many things that excite me more than being equipped to provide quality, equitable healthcare to patients in concert with colleagues who share the same vision.

Additionally, as an African American, I am a member of an underrepresented group in medicine. African Americans also face disparities in healthcare, and it is requisite to advocate for equity in this space. I intend to approach my medical education and training from a perspective that deems a righting of the ship essential.

Who is your hero?
My heroes are undoubtedly the collective which forms my support system. My family and friends have been inexplicably supportive throughout my life. My mother raised my siblings and me as a single parent, providing love and opportunities that ran counter to the poverty we experienced. My aunts, uncles, and cousins provided examples of unconditional love and are more like additional mothers, fathers, and siblings.

My wife and children constantly supported and rooted for me when I was unemployed during the economic recession, and they continue to have my back daily. My friends have helped me and my family move across the country, offered a shoulder to cry on during difficult times, and provided tough love when my life path needed redirection. My community has been my hero, and I would not be in the privileged situation I am today without them.

What is your ultimate goal for your career in medicine?
My primary aim is to make an impact in the surrounding community, in addition to being a competent and dependable clinician. The support I’ve received along my path to medical school has been such a blessing, and I was taught at a young age that each one should teach one according to their knowledge. I must pour into others and reciprocate all I’ve received. When your cup is full, you might think you have everything you need. But you cannot refill and gain anything new if you don’t empty some of that cup by providing others with what you were fortunate enough to acquire. Empathy is one of the most valuable tools in one’s arsenal, and I look forward to giving back via community outreach and education.

What kind of emotions do you feel as you’re ready to begin medical school?
All of them, haha! But, more seriously, I’ve waffled between excitement, anxiety, and gratitude. I’m excited to finally be in an environment that facilitates medical knowledge and clinical skills. I’ve wanted this for a while! As many of my classmates have reported in conversations, I feel anxious about the novelty of preclinical coursework and whether I can quickly adapt and figure out a study style that produces desired results. And the most fun emotion I’m feeling is gratitude. I am grateful to be in a class of students with such positive energy. Everyone has been getting along, engaging in conversation, and willing to share as much as they listen. We had a lot of fun on our retreat, but we’ve probably had nearly as much fun just hanging out around campus. I’m super honored to be part of the Class of 2027!

What are you looking forward to most about medical school?
Anatomy lab! I know it will be difficult, and I’ll likely be in the lab for an insane number of hours. But I am captivated by the human body from a structural and functional perspective. The fact that I will explore the inner workings and design of the entire human body is incredible.

If you had to pick a medical specialty right now, what would it be and why?
While I recognize that around 70% of medical students change their minds regarding specialty choice during their third year, I find it hard to ignore my interest in orthopedic surgery. As a lifelong athlete, I’ve always been interested in health, fitness, and human anatomy. My college football career was cut short by a severe adductor strain that went untreated. It was a difficult period, leaving me fully aware of how life-altering a musculoskeletal injury can be.

As a pre-med student, my sole shadowing experience was with an orthopedic surgeon, which I pulled off by the skin of my teeth. I spent every waking moment with an on-call physician during each of the four days I was with him. This experience furthered my fascination with human anatomy, but the collegiality and high level of intellect and creativity on display during procedures had me straight up swooning. There is something about the teamwork in an operating room that is just electric and infectious. It reminds me of game day when one is involved in an athletic competition.

Most importantly, orthopedic surgery involves positive outcomes and excellent mobility improvements. Members of the orthopedic team I shadowed cited procedural outcomes as the most gratifying part of their job. In addition, I empathize with patients looking to get back to baseline function. I’ve suffered countless sports-related injuries. As frustrating as it is to experience such a setback, restorative treatment offers hope amid adversity. As excited as I am about a career in orthopedic surgery, I admit to having minimal knowledge of the field. So my interest is tempered by a humble appreciation of those with expertise, and I remain fully open to all medical specialties.

To meet all of the Newest Faces of McGovern Medical School, click here.