Edwin Acevedo, MD
Edwin was drawn to the plastic and reconstructive fellowship at UTHSC at Houston after witnessing the comradery that was palpable even during the virtual social hour. He came for the surgical volume and experience but stood for the good vibes. One month into fellowship, Edwin was 5 cases away from completing the minimum number of cases in hand and tendon repair, which is a true testament to the volume, breadth, and experience you would gain at UTHSC, one of the busiest trauma centers in the country.
“I would complain, but that’s too easy. Its harder to be the one to make the difference.”
Undergrad: Rutgers College
Med school: Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
General surgery residency: Temple University Hospital
- Official Recognition from Congressman B. Pascrell, Jr. for Leadership, 2007
- Proclamation from Mayor S. Rivera for Exceptional Community Leadership, 2007
- Gold Humanism Honor Society, 2014
- Beta Gamma Sigma International Business Honor Society, 2019
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Epsilon Chapter, Member Induction, 2021
- Owl Ribbon for Excellence in Teamwork, 2022
- Taylor GA, Acevedo E, Kling SM, Kuo LE. “Predicting Outcomes in Thyroidectomy and Parathyroidectomy: The Modified Five-Point Frailty Index Versus American Society of Anesthesiologists Classification.” J Surg Res. 2022 Mar 24; 276:83-91. doi: 10.1016/j.jss.2022.02.044.
- Bakhos C, Acevedo E, Petrov R, Abbas A. “Surveillance Following Treatment of Esophageal Cancer.” Surgical Clinics of North America. 2021 Jun; 101(3):499-509
- Edwin Acevedo, Jr., MD, MHA, Lindsay E. Kuo, MD, MBA. “The Economics of Patient Surgical Safety.” Surgical Clinics of North America. 2021 Feb;101(1):135-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.suc.2020.09.005
- Acevedo E, Lu X, Zhao H, Mazzei M, Sarvepalli S, Edwards MA. “Outcomes in Racial Minorities after Robotic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass and Sleeve Gastrectomy: A Retrospective Review of the MBSAQIP Database.” SOARD. 2020 Oct 21. doi.org/10.1016/j.soard.2020.10.019
- Michael A. Edwards, MD, FACS, Shravan Sarvepalli, MD, Michael Mazzei, MD, MPH, MS, Edwin Acevedo, Jr., MD, MHA, Xiaoning Lu, MS Huaqing Zhao, PhD. “Outcomes in racial and ethnic minorities after revisional robotic-assisted metabolic and bariatric surgery: an analysis of the MBSAQIP database.” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. 2020 Aug 26; S1550-7289(20)30484-6. doi: 10.1016/j.soard.2020.08.019
- Acevedo E, Mazzei M, Zhao H, Lu X, Soans R, Edwards MA. “Outcomes in Conventional Laparoscopic Versus Robotic-Assisted Primary Bariatric Surgery: A Retrospective, Case-Controlled Study of the MBSAQIP Database.” Surgical Endoscopy. 2020 Mar;34(3):1353-1365. doi: 10.1007/s00464-019-06915-7
- Acevedo E, Mazzei M, Zhao H, Lu X, Soans R, Edwards MA. “Outcomes in Conventional Laparoscopic Versus Robotic-Assisted Revisional and Conversional Bariatric Surgery: A Retrospective, Case-Controlled Study of the MBSAQIP Database.” Surgical Endoscopy. 2020 Apr;34(4):1573-1584. doi: 10.1007/s00464-019-06917-5.
- Gassman A, Pan J, Acevedo E, Haddock N, Teotia S. “The Superficial and Deep Inferior Epigastric Artery Composite Perforator Flap for Breast Reconstruction: A Case Report.” Microsurgery. 2018 Oct;38(7):799-803. doi: 10.1002/micr.30362.
- Acevedo E, Mazzei M, Roth S, Brann S, Toyoda Y. “Comparing disparities before and after the implementation of the lung allocation score: a systematic review.” PROSPERO: International Prospective Register of Systematic Reviews. 2018. CRD42018093615
- Acevedo E, Nadhan KS, Everett M, Moya A, Bradley JP. “Corset Trunkplasty: Recommended with Abdominal Skin Laxity and Open Cholecystectomy Scar”. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2018 Jan; 141(1):60-69. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0000000000003988
- Acevedo E, Sjoholm LO, Santora T, Goldberg AJ. “A Review of the Role and Utility of Computed Chest Tomography in Penetrating Chest Trauma.” Current Trauma Reports. 2018 Mar; 4(1):56-63. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40719-018-0115-5
- Tyrell R, Kilmartin C, Acevedo E, Keshavamurthy S, Gassman AA. “Is non-invasive indocyanin green angiography a useful adjunct for the debridement of infected sternal wounds?” JPRAS Open; 2018 Apr 6;16:117-121. doi.org/10.1016/j.jpra.2017.12.002.
- Acevedo E, Taylor GA, Dugue D, Deemer A, Gassman AA, Bellas E. Collagen VI alpha-3 expression is higher in the superficial epigastric adipose tissue of former smokers than in non-smokers. Robert H. Ivy Pennsylvania Plastic Surgery Society. Hersey, PA. November 7, 2020.
- Acevedo E, Sarvepelli S, Mazzei M, Zhao H, Edwards MA. Outcomes in Racial Cohorts after Robotic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass: A Matched Analysis of the MBSAQIP Database. ASMBS Obesity Week. Las Vegas, NV. October 2019.
- Edwards MA, Acevedo E, Sarvepelli S, Mazzei M, Zhao H. Outcomes in Racial Cohorts after Robotic Sleeve Gastrectomy: A Matched Analysis of the MBSAQIP Database. ASMBS Obesity Week. Las Vegas, NV. October 2019.
- Sarvepelli S, Acevedo E, Mazzei M, Zhao H, Edwards MA. Outcomes in Racial Cohorts after Revisional Robotic Bariatric Surgery: A Matched Analysis of the MBSAQIP Database. ASMBS Obesity Week. Las Vegas, NV. October 2019.
- Mazzei M, Acevedo E, Zhao H, Edwards MA. The Impact of Chronic Renal Disease on Bariatric Perioperative Outcomes: A MBSAQIP Matched Analysis. SAGES. Baltimore, Maryland, 2019
- Acevedo E, Mazzei M, Zhao H, Edwards MA. Outcomes in Revisional Laparoscopic Versus Robotic-Assisted Bariatric Surgery: A Retrospective Review of the MBSAQIP Database. SAGES. Baltimore, Maryland. April 2019
- Acevedo E, Mazzei M, Zhao H, Edwards MA. Outcomes in Conventional Laparoscopic Versus Robotic-Assisted Bariatric Surgery: A Retrospective Review of the MBSAQIP Database. SAGES. Baltimore, Maryland. April 2019.
- Michael Mazzei MD, MPH, MS, Edwin Acevedo, Jr., MD, Meryl Ethridge, Elizabeth Dauer MD, Joseph M. Lopez Jr. MD, Zoe Maher MD, Jessica Beard MD, Abhijit Pathak MD, Thomas Santora MD, Amy Goldberg MD, Lars Ola Sjoholm MD, Leonard L. Mason III MD. Is routine echocardiography needed after negative contrast CT to rule out penetrating cardiac trauma? American Association of the Society of Trauma Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA. 2018
- Acevedo E, Gordon M, Criner G. Flail Chest. Pulmonary Medicine: Essentials. Springer Verlog, NY, NY. Publication Pending.
- Acevedo E, Bakhos C, Abbas A. Open Lung Biopsy. Pulmonary Medicine: Essentials. Springer Verlog, NY, NY. Publication Pending.
- Acevedo E, Kuo L. Chapter 9: Carrots and Sticks – The Economics of Surgical Patient Safety. Surgical Clinics. Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA. Publication Pending.
- Bakhos C, Acevedo, E, Petrov R, Abbas A. Surveillance Following Treatment of Esophageal Cancer. Surgical Clinics. Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA. Publication Pending.
- Acevedo E. Chapter 3 Introduction: “From Here to There: The Medical Education Process”. The Official Guide to Medical School Admissions. AAMC, 2015
PRS Interests: reconstruction, craniofacial, microsurgery
Edwin is a first-generation college graduate from Passaic, New Jersey. He credits his parents, his in-laws, and his and wife, Lorena, for always keeping him grounded and focused. As a true Jersey native, he went to Rutgers for his undergraduate degree, and Rutgers – Robert Wood Johnson Medical School for medical school. He was fortunate to match into Temple’s general surgery residency in Philadelphia, where he was trained to take care some of the sickest patients in the area. He was inducted into AOA as a surgical resident, evidence of his clinical acumen and academic successes as a trainee.
In his spare time, Edwin is a homebody and loves hanging out at home with his wife and two sons, Leo and Evan. He loves adventure, traveling, and hiking, and has visited over 9 countries and 60 cities in the last 5 years. Now, if he’s not at splash pads keeping his little guys cool in the Houston heat, he’s busy planning his next getaway and learning about the principles of plastic and reconstructive surgery. Edwin is new to Houston, but has already found it to be an exciting place to raise a family and eat good food… really, really good food.