Samuel Ruiz, MD
My decision to come to UTHealth Houston was an easy one. I was looking for a prestigious institution, with great volume of cases to maximize my training, located in a nice warm, metropolitan city. This program has all three!. The opportunity to practice at the world-renowned Texas Medical Center and Memorial Herman, one the busiest Trauma centers in the US, makes UTH he best place to be. In addition, the support of the program, faculty and staff makes you feel right at home.
Med school – Universidad Central de Venezuela (UCV)
General surgery residency – HCA Florida – Kendall Hospital. Miami, Florida
- Intern/Medical Student of the Year, 2012
- Edward Copeland Abstract Award Winner. Category: Clinical Science, 2019
- Winner of Surgical Jeopardy, 2019 (2x)
- Winner of Annual Surgical Skills Competition. Category: Laparoscopic Suturing, 2020
- Winner of Annual Surgical Skills Competition. Category: Free Tie, 2021
- Ruiz S, Lim R. Spontaneous Temporomandibular joint Dislocation. J Craniofac Surg. 2019 May/Jun;30(3):e265-e267. doi: 10.1097/SCS.0000000000005309. PMID: 31048623. Published: May, 2019
- Ruiz S, Lim R. Orbital decompression for treatment of acute visual loss after facial trauma. J Craniofac Surg. 2019 Oct;30(7):e683-e687. doi: 10.1097/SCS.0000000000005892. PMID: 31503126.Published: Oct, 2019
- Puyana S, Ruiz S, Bernal E, Mckenney M, Lim R, Askari M, Mir H,. The use of dehydrated human amniotic/chorionic membrane skin substitute in the treatment of pediatric facial burn. J Craniofac Surg. 2019 Aug 21. doi: 10.1097/SCS.0000000000005826. PMID: 31449203. Published: Nov, 2019
- Puyana S, Ruiz S, Bernal E, Mckenney M, Lim R, Askari M, Mir H,. The Use of Dehydrated Human Amniotic Membrane vs. Amniotic/Chorionic Membrane Allografts to Treat Partial Thickness Facial Burns. J Craniofac Surg. 2019 Jul 31. doi: 10.1097/SCS.0000000000005834. PMID: 31369508. Published: Jul, 2020
- Puyana S, Ruiz S, Bernal E, Mckenney M, Lim R, Askari M, Mir H,. Using Dehydrated Amniotic Membrane Skin Substitute in Facial Burns: Is There a Outcome Difference Between Adult and Pediatric Patients?, Journal of Craniofacial Surgery: March/April 2020 – Volume 31 – Issue 2 – p e145-e147 doi: 10.1097/SCS.0000000000006077. PMID: 31688265. Published: Mar, 2020
- Puyana S, Ruiz S, Amador F, Hai S, Mckenney M, Young E, Askari M, Lim R, Mir H,. Carboxyhemoglobin: Is it a Marker for Burn Patient Outcomes?, Annals of Plastic Surgery: Oct, 2020 – doi: 10.1097/SAP.0000000000002455. PMID: 32931682. Published: Oct, 2020
- Puyana S, Ruiz S, Bernal E, Mckenney M, Lim R, Askari M, Mir H,. Comparison Between Human Amniotic/Chorionic Membrane and Cryopreserved Allografts in the Treatment of Genital Burns. Ann Plast Surg. 2020 Dec;85(6):618-621. doi: 10.1097/SAP.0000000000002414. PMID: 33165115. Published: Dic, 2020
- Ruiz S, McCoy J, Pulikkottil B, Cheng J. Detailed Case Reports of Surgical Treatment for Intraneural Ganglion Cysts. Plastic and Reconstructive Global Open. February 16, 2021. doi: 10.1097/GOX.0000000000003339. PMID: 33680635. Published: Feb, 2021
- Ruiz S, Lim R. Intraorbital abscess: A rare cause of orbit compression. FACE, The journal of American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons and American Society of Craniofacial Surgeons. March 30, 2021. doi:10.1177/27325016211005062. Published: Mar, 2021
- Ruiz S, Geraghty F, Padron D, Chacon D, Kahane G. The Appendix: A Rare Case of an Appendiceal Collision Tumor. Cureus 13(8): e17050. doi:10.7759/cureus.17050. PMID: 34522528. Published: Aug, 2021
- Puyana S, Ruiz S, Amador F, Hai S, Mckenney M, Young E, Askari M, Lim R, Mir H. Effect of Elevated Alcohol levels on Burn Patient Outcomes. ePlasty 2021;21:e6.Epud 2021 August 24. ISSN: 1937-5719. Published: August, 2021
PRS Interests – Craniofacial Surgery, General and Burn Reconstruction.
Sam is an International medical graduate from Venezuela. He came to us after completing his General Surgery training in Miami, Florida and working his way up to the top. A real role model for foreign medical graduates.
In his spare time, Sam continues his quest to master “El Cuatro” (Venezuelan Version of the Ukulele). In addition, He love spending time with his family and exploring everything that Houston has to offer – He even found surfable waves near Houston!