Robert Tung, MD
I chose UTHealth Houston for its robust exposure to all aspects of plastic surgery. The case volume and diversity prepares us to care for the most complex patients. Faculty are dedicated to teaching and supporting trainees, which creates a strong camaraderie amongst everyone in the program.
Med school – The University of Kansas School of Medicine
General surgery residency – Cedars-Sinai Medical Center PGY 1-3
- Outstanding Intern Award, 2020
- Outstanding Student Teaching Award, 2020, 2021
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, 2018
- Gold Humanism Honor Society, 2018
- Hasan O,Tung RC, Freeman H, Taylor W, Helmer SD, Reyes J, Grizzell BE. Thromboelastography after Cardiopulmonary Bypass: Does it Save Blood Products? Kans J Med. 2022 Jan 11;15:27-30. PMID: 35106120
- Tung, RC, Towfigh, S. Diagnostic techniques for diastasis recti. Hernia 25, 915–919 (2021). PubMed PMID: 34313855.
- Huynh D, Mazer L,Tung R, Cunneen S, Shouhed D, Burch M, Conversion of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy to roux-en-y gastric bypass: patterns predicting persistent symptoms after revision. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. 2021.PubMed PMID: 34127398.
- Hawthorne B, Simmons JK, Stuart BK,Tung R, Zamierowski DS, and Mellott AJ, “Enhancing Wound Healing Dressing Development Through Interdisciplinary Collaboration” J. Biomed Mater Res. 2021. PMID: 34002476.
- Hiett A,Tung R, Emanuelli E, Sherman A, Anderson JT, Schwend RM. The amount of surgical correction of the main thoracic curve is the best predictor of postoperative clinical shoulder balance in patients with Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. Spine Deform. 2020 May 26. PubMed PMID: 32458258.
- Murray E, Tung R, Sherman A, Schwend RM. Continued vertebral body growth in patients with juvenile idiopathic scoliosis following vertebral body stapling. Spine Deform. 2020 April. PubMed PMID: 32026438.
- Tung R, Uvodich M, Anderson JT, Sherman A, Lozano R. Do heavier patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis have more preserved thoracic kyphosis and pulmonary function? Spine Deform. 2018 Nov-Dec;6(6):704-706. PMID: 20248347
PRS Interests – General Reconstruction, Microsurgery, Global Surgery, Resident Education
Interests: Tennis, Traveling, Food