David T. Mitchell, MD
I am absolutely thrilled to be training as a plastic surgeon in the same program where I went to medical school. The support from faculty, high case volume, and the opportunity to work in one of the largest medical centers in the world are all reasons that UTHealth Houston prepares its residents exceptionally well for their careers in surgery. It is my goal to continue UT’s culture of hard work, mentorship, work-life balance, research, and patient-centered care.
Undergraduate: Auburn University, Auburn, AL
Med school – UTHealth McGovern Medical School, Houston, TX
General surgery residency – University of Washington
- FACE Journal Editor’s Choice Article, 2021
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 2020
- Auburn University Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence, 2017
- Auburn Rugby “Usain Bolt” Award, 2017
- Spirit of Auburn Presidential Merit Scholarship, 2013
- Mitchell D, Asaad M, Slovacek C, Selber JC, Clemens MW, Chu CK, Mericli AF, Largo RD, Butler CE. Outcomes of Autologous Free Flap Reconstruction Following Infected Device Explantation. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2022 June (Accepted).
- Asaad M, Slovacek C, Mitchell D, Liu J, Selber JC, Clemens MW, Chu CK, Mericli AF, Butler CE. Surgical and Patient-Reported Outcomes of Autologous versus Implant-Based Reconstruction following Infected Breast Device Explantation. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2022 Mar 29. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0000000000009091. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35349553.
- Asaad M, Yao C, Kambhampati P, Mitchell D, Liu J, Lewis CM, Yu P, Hanasono MM, Chang EI. Impact of Body Mass Index on Surgical Outcomes in Oncologic Microvascular Head and Neck Reconstruction. Ann Surg Oncol. 2022 Mar 24. doi: 10.1245/s10434-022-11542-z. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35325376.
- Kambhampati PV, Mitchell D, Rajesh A, Deptula PL, Asaad M. Addressing Surgical Care Disparities: Residents’ Involvement in Global Mission Trips. The Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. 2021 Sep. DOI: 10.1097/scs.0000000000008133. PMID: 34519711.
- Asaad M, Mitchell D, Murphy B, Liu J, Selber JC, Clemens MW, Bedrosian I, Butler CE. Surgical Outcomes of Implant Versus Autologous Breast Reconstruction in Patients with Previous Breast-Conserving Surgery and Radiotherapy. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2021 July (Accepted).
- Mitchell D, Allen D, Greives M, Nguyen P. A Critical Assessment and Review of Artificial Intelligence in Facial Paralysis Analysis: Uncovering the Truth. FACE. 2021;2(3):200-207. doi:10.1177/27325016211022805
- Asaad M, Slovacek C, Mitchell D, Liu J, Selber JC, Clemens MW, Chu CK, Mericli AF, Butler CE. Implant-Based Breast Reconstruction Following Infected Device Explantation: Is a Second Attempt Worth It? Plast Reconstr Surg. 2021 June (Accepted).
- Elango M, Asaad M, Kotta PA, Rajesh A, Kaakeh R, Mitchell D, Tran NV. Gender Disparity in Abstract Presentation at Plastic Surgery Meetings. J Surg Res. 2021 May 1;265:204-211. doi: 10.1016/j.jss.2021.02.010. Epub ahead of print.
Letters to the editor:
- Mitchell D, Rajesh A. The Association between Away Rotations and Rank Order in the Integrated Plastic Surgery Match. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2022 Jul 1;150(1):233e-234e. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0000000000009215. Epub 2022 May 23. PMID: 35594418.
- Mitchell D, Laffoon A, Rajesh A. Preparation for Hand Surgery Fellowship: A Comparison of Resident Training Pathways, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: January 2022 – Volume 149 – Issue 1 – p 143e-144e doi: 10.1097/PRS.0000000000008615
- Mitchell D. “Cost of Living for International Students in US! Cost of USMLE Journey!” The Match Guy, 29 Apr. 2021, thematchguy.com/cost-living-international-students/.
- Mitchell D. “Love and Light.” HOUSE: Journal of the University of Washington Housestaff Quality and Safety Committee, 7th Edition. p. 34. Retrieved February 2, 2022, from https://cpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com/sites.uw.edu/dist/8/2570/files/2022/01/HOUSE_2021.pdf.
PRS Interests – Hand surgery, microsurgery, reconstructive surgery of the breast cancer patient
Hobbies: David enjoys spending time with his significant other Ashley and their two sphynx cats, Arjuna and Sid. When he’s not in the OR, he likes to watercolor, make music, macrame, swim, or spend time hammocking in Hermann Park.