Annual Productivity 2021-2022 Academic Year
- Fallah, KN, Konty LA, Anderson, BJ, Cepeda A, Lamaris, GA, Nguyen PD, Greives, MR. Forecasting the Flap: Predictors for Lower Extremity Trauma Reconstruction
- Nguyen, Belal, A., Washington, G. N., Greives, MR, Sandberg, D. I., Fletcher, S. A., & Shah, M. N. (2021). Distraction osteogenesis with temporal bone remodeling for unicoronal craniosynostosis. Neurosurgical Focus: Video, 4(2), V15–. https://doi.org/10.3171/2021.1.FOCVID20121
- Mitchell, Allen, D. Z., Greives, MR, & Nguyen, PD (2021). A Critical Assessment and Review of Artificial Intelligence in Facial Paralysis Analysis: Uncovering the Truth. FACE, 2(3), 200–207. https://doi.org/10.1177/27325016211022805
- Kimia, Rotem, Thom, Dang, Dinh, Phuong, et al. Epidemiology of Craniofacial Pathology in Northern Vietnam Using Digital Platforms: Utilization of Electronic Medical Records and an SMS Based Reporting System in a Low-Middle Income Country. Ann Plast Surg. 2021;87(3):343-347. doi:10.1097/SAP.0000000000002836.
- Cepeda Alfredo Jr, Austin MT, Nguyen PD, Teichgraeber JF, Greives MR. Racial Disparities Affect Timing of Alveolar Bone Grafting for Patients With Cleft Lip and Palate: An Analysis of the 2012 Kids’ Inpatient Database. FACE. 2021;2(4):357-363. doi:10.1177/27325016211048504
- Deramo, P. J., Greives, MR, & Nguyen, PD (2020). Pediatric facial reanimation: An algorithmic approach and systematic review. Archives of Plastic Surgery, 47(5), 382–391. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmc7520236/
- Moffitt, J. K., Cepeda, J., Ekeoduru, R. A., Teichgraeber, J. F., Nguyen, PD, & Greives, M. R. (2021). Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Protocol for Primary Cleft Palate Repair: Improving Transition of Care. The Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, 32(1), e72–e76. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32897976/
- Moffitt, J. K., Cepeda, A., Wainwright, D. J., Demian, N., Wainwright, D. J., Nguyen, PD, Teichgraeber, J. F., & Greives, M. R. (2021). The Epidemiology and Management of Pediatric Maxillary Fractures. The Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, 32(3), 859–862. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32941219/
- Ryall JJ, Xue Y, Turner KD, Nguyen PD, Greives MR. Assessing the quality of life in infants with deformational plagiocephaly. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2021 Jan;49(1):29-33. doi: 10.1016/j.jcms.2020.11.005. Epub 2020 Nov 17. PMID: 33239212.
- Cepeda, J., Konty, L. A., Moffitt, J. K., Wainwright, D., Booth, J. H., Nguyen, P. D., & Greives, M. R. (2021). Study of Pediatric Operative Recreational Trauma: A Retrospective Analysis of Pediatric Sports-Related Facial Fractures. The Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, 32(4), 1611–1614. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33770047/
- Goodenough, C. J., Anderson, K. T., Cepeda, J., Smith, K. E., Hanfland, R. A., Wadhwa, N., Teichgraeber, J. F., & Greives, M. R. (2020). Impact of Cardiac Risk Factors in the Postsurgical Outcomes of Patients With Cleft Lip: An Analysis of 2126 Patients. The Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, Publish Ahead of Print. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33351544/
- Anderson, Fallah, K. N., Lignieres, A. A., Moffitt, J. K., Luu, K.-L., Cepeda, A., Doringo, I. L., Nguyen, P. D., Teichgraeber, J. F., & Greives, M. R. (2021). Predictive Factors for Velopharyngeal Insufficiency Following Primary Cleft Palate Repair. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, 105566562110268–10556656211026861. https://doi.org/10.1177/10556656211026861
- Fairchild B, Cepeda A Jr, Maiorino E, Shah MN, Sandberg DI, Fletcher SA, Nguyen PD, Greives MR. Back to the Beginning: An Algorithmic Approach to Neonatal Myelomeningocele Repair. Ann Plast Surg. 2021 Dec 3. doi: 10.1097/SAP.0000000000003043. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34864746.
- Rizvi I, Fallah KN, Cepeda A Jr, Turner K, Nguyen PD, Greives MR. Where Are We Headed? Diagnosing Abnormal Head Shapes Through Virtual Care Visits. J Craniofac Surg. 2021 Sep 14. doi: 10.1097/SCS.0000000000008118. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34519705.
- Keyho RJ, Cepeda A Jr, Greives MR, Nguyen PD. Socioeconomic Factors Impact the Timing of Surgical Repair for Craniosynostosis – A Regional and National Assessment. J Craniofac Surg. 2021 Dec 6. doi: 10.1097/SCS.0000000000008405. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34873100.
- Chen W, Cylinder I, Najafian A, Dugi III DD, Berli JU. Shaft-only Phalloplasty with Vaginal Preservation and Vulvo-Scrotoplasty (VPVS). 147(2):480-483, 2021.
- Chen W and Schilling BK, Bourne DA, Myers SP, Delacruz C. National Survey of Plastic Surgery Trainees: Status of Gender Bias and Sexual Misconduct. Plast Reconstr Surg. 147(6):1454-1468, 2021.
- Kim JS, Chen W, Grunwaldt L, Losee JE, Bise C, Schuster LA. Musculoskeletal Pain Survey Outcomes in Cleft Surgeons and Orthodontists. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal. 58(2): 222-229, 2021.
- Brooker JE, Bruce MK,Chen W, Hashemi R, Barnet J, Goldstein JA, Losee JE, Schuster L. Clinical and radiological analysis of arch bars over-retained for 14 years post maxillo-mandibular fixation. FACE: Journal of the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons. 2021.
- Chen W, Brooker J, Barnett J, Kim J, Bruce MK, Pfaff MJ, Goldstein JA, Losee JE, Schuster L. Pediatric Mandibular Distraction Osteogenesis and Long-Term Dental Morbidity: A Clinical Evaluation and Review of the Literature. FACE: Journal of the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons. 2021.
- Reghunathan M, Blum J; Gosman A; Butler P; Chen W. Trends in Diversity and Inclusion Publications: How Does Plastic Surgery Compare to Other Surgical Subspecialties? Annals of Plastic Surgery February 2021.
- Chen W and Hall JA, Lee P, Bhayana K, Moroni EA, Butler P, Delacruz C. Quantifying the Pipeline of Ethnically Under-Represented In Medicine (UIM) Physicians in Academic Plastic Surgery Leadership. Annals of Plastic Surgery February 2021.
- Kasemodel K, Hemal K, Chen W, Wallace C, Bourne DA. Evolution in Parental Leave Policies: Plastic Surgery and Obstetrics & Gynecology Lead the Way. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Brisbin AK, Chen W, Goldschmidt E, Smith BT, Bourne DA. Gender Diversity in Hand Surgery Leadership. HAND Journal May 13, 2021.
- Kim JS, Chen W, Wachtman G, Solari MG, Manders EK. A New Rib Removal Technique for Torso Tapering or Securing Rib Bone Grafts. Plast Reconstr Surg 2021.
- Invited article: Chen W. American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH) Perspectives November 2021. http://asshperspectives.org/2021/11/we-must-be-systematic-and-relentless/
- The UT Houston McGovern Medical School Recipes from the Many Faces of UTHealth – 2021 – A Book of Recipes for Cooking and Connecting. Chen W. Taiwanese Pork Belly Rice.
- Melissinos EG, Maiorino EJ, Marques ES. Use of the Adductor Magnus Muscle Free Flap for Lower-Extremity Soft Tissue Coverage: An Alternative to the Gracilis Muscle Flap With Unfavorable Vascular Anatomy. Ann Plast Surg. 2021 Jan;86(1):46-51. doi: 10.1097/SAP.0000000000002433. PMID: 32541539.
ACPA Accepted Abstracts (2022)
Alfredo Cepeda Jr.
- Predictors of Success Following Endoscopic Strip Craniectomy and Orthotic Helmeting for Metopic Craniosynostosis
- A comparison of intravenous ketorolac to oral ibuprofen for management of post-operative pain in palatoplasty patients
George N. Washington:
- Regional Changes Following Endoscopic Strip Craniectomy for Sagittal Craniosynostosis: Recipe for Success?
- Effect of Analysis Methods and Phenotype Stratification for Identification of Nonsyndromic Cleft Lip and Palate Genetic Loci
- MRI Face Scan – A Novel Impression Technique for Nasalveolar Molding Appliances
- Post-operative Radiologic Imaging in Secondary Alveolar Bone Grafting for Cleft Lip and Palate: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
Kavya Kelagere Mayigegowda:
- Surgical Ergonomics in Cleft Palatoplasty: No Pain, No Gain.
- Artificial Intelligence Methods for the Argenta Classification of Plagiocephaly to Predict Severity, Treatment, and Prognosis
- Sociodemographic Factors: Effect on Patient Reported Outcomes in Pediatric Cleft Lip and Palate Patients
ASPS Abstracts (2021)
- George N. Washington: Does Craniosynostosis Type Affect Duration of Helmet Therapy after Endoscopic Strip Craniectomy?
- Berry Fairchild: Lower Extremity Amputation and Target Muscle Reinnervation Quality Improvement Program in a County Safety-Net Hospital
- Huan Nguyen: Endoscopic Strip Craniectomy for Metopic and Sagittal Craniosynostosis: Does Helmeting Time Matter?
- Ryan Keyho: Impact of Socioeconomic Factors on Orthognathic Surgery in Cleft Lip-Palate Patients- a National Assessment
- Allison Seitz: Dual-Innervated Free Gracilis Muscle Transfer for Facial Reanimation in Children
- Paul Deramo: Implementation of a Lower Extremity Amputation Formalization and Targeted Muscle Reinnervation Quality Improvement Program in a Safety-Net Hospital: Feasibility and Early Results
- Alfredo Cepeda Jr.: Is ERAS for Everyone?: A Comparison of Pain Control Outcomes across Veau Classifications Following Primary Palatoplasty
- Austin Lignieres: Fistula Rates in Conversion Furlow Palatoplasty with and without Buccal Flap Augmentation
- Blake Berry: Ballistic Injuries to the Mandible
- Janet Ashley: Patient Experience with Laser Treatment of Burn Scars
- Erik Marques:
- In-Service Examination Committee (Hand and Lower Extremity Subcommittee)
- Wellness Subcommittee
- Hemal K, Jedrzejewski B, Aiken J, Golden R, Meyer A, Freischlag J, Chen W. Sexual Misconduct in Academic Medicine. ASPS Atlanta, GA. Podium presentation. October 2021. Accepted.
- Kasemodel K, Chen W, Wallace C, Bourne DA. Evolution of Leave Policies in Medical Boards. ASPS Atlanta, GA. Podium presentation. October 2021.
- Kanth A, Choi JW, Martiney M, Reghunathan M, Gallus K, Chen W. Factors Affecting Female Plastic Surgeons’ Decision to Pursue and Maintain an Academic Career. ASPS Atlanta, GA. Podium presentation. October 2021.
- Chen W and Hall JA, Lee P, Bhayana K, Moroni EA, Butler P, Delacruz C. Quantifying the Pipeline of Ethnically Under-Represented In Medicine (UIM) Physicians in Academic Plastic Surgery Leadership. ASPS Atlanta, GA. Podium presentation. October 2021. Accepted, withdrawn.
- Reghunathan M, Blum J; Gosman A; Butler P; Chen W. Trends in Diversity and Inclusion Publications: How Does Plastic Surgery Compare to Other Surgical Subspecialties? ASPS Atlanta, GA. Podium presentation. October 2021. Accepted, withdrawn.
TSPS Abstracts/Talks (2021)
Matthew R. Greives: Component separation of the face: Personalizing Craniofacial Surgery
- Berry Fairchild: Implementation of a Lower Extremity Formalization and Targeted Muscle Reinnervation Quality Improvement Program in a Safety-Net Hospital: Feasibility and Early Results
- George N. Washington: Endoscopic Strip Craniectomy for Metopic and Sagittal Craniosynostosis: Does Time Matter?
- Cassie A. Hartline: Rate of inappropriate upper extremity transfers to level 1 trauma center
- Alfredo Cepeda Jr.: Is ERAS for Everyone? A comparison of pain control outcomes across Veau classifications following primary palatoplasty
- Paul Clark: Rate of Inappropriate Upper Extremity Transfer to a level 1 Trauma Center
ISCFS Abstracts (2021)
- Alfredo Cepeda Jr: Characterization of Regional Morphological Changes in Metopic Craniosynostosis following Endoscopic Strip Craniectomy with Post-operative Helmeting
- George N. Washington: Post-operative Helmet Therapy Following Endoscopic Strip Craniectomy for Metopic and Sagittal Craniosynostosis: Does Time and Suture Type Matter?
- Chen W and Schilling BK, Bourne DA, Myers SP, Delacruz C. National Survey of Plastic Surgery Trainees: Status of Gender Bias and Sexual Misconduct. Oct 16, 2021 Association of Women Surgeons 2021 Virtual Conference, 3 Papers That Should Change Your Perspective Podium presentation.
- Hemal K, Jedrzejewski B, Aiken J, Golden R, Meyer A, Freischlag J, Chen W. Sexual Misconduct in Academic Medicine. ACS Scientific Forum at Clinical Congress 2021. Virtual. Podium Presentation. October 24-28, 2021. Accepted.
- Faculty Teacher of the Year
- Top Doctors Houstonia Magazine
- Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award
- Board of Governors PlastyPac
- Member of the ASPS Ethics Committee
- Vice Chair of the ASPS Development Committee
- Member ASPS Legislative Advocacy Committee
- Member of the ASPS Membership Committee
- Member of the ASPS Continuing Education Committee
- Appointed Clinical Assistant Professor at Sam Houston State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Member Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons Legislative/Public Policy Committee
- Inaugural John P. and Kathrine G. McGovern Distinguished Faculty Award in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (2021-2022).
- Best Free Paper Presentation Award. Hemal K, Chen W, Bourne DA. Fertility and Childbearing Practices of Female Plastic Surgeons: Have We Changed in 25 Years? March 2021. American Council of Academic Plastic Surgeons Winter Meeting. Virtual Meeting.
- Kanth A, Choi JW, Martiney M, Reghunathan M, Gallus K, Chen W. Factors Affecting Female Plastic Surgeons’ Decision to Pursue and Maintain an Academic Career. Women in Medicine (Virtual). Poster presentation. Winner of Best Poster Award. September 2021.
- Host and panelist. “Women of Color in Plastic Surgery (WOCPRS) Rank List Coaching for Medical Students.” February 15, 2021.
- Moderator and Organizer. “You Signed A Contract, Now What? Starting a Plastic Surgery Hand Practice” July 27, 2021. Hosted by UCLA/UCI Hand Fellowships.
- Invited Guest. “Cryopreservation and Fertility.” The Resident Review Podcast (@TheResidentReview, TheResidentReview.com). Sept 2021.
- Yale Department of Plastic Surgery Grand Rounds. Academic Plastic Surgery and DEI: Current Data and Future Directions. July 14, 2021.
- University of Texas at Houston Pediatric Neurosciences Virtual Symposium. Neonatal Brachial Plexus Injuries. September 1, 2021.
- ASPS Plastic Surgery The Meeting Women Plastic Surgeons Luncheon. Invited Speaker. The Future is Female…in a House Still Made for Men- Rebuilding the Culture of Surgery. Atlanta, GA. October 2021. Sold out to over 225 attendees, with standing room admitted.
- ASPS Plastic Surgery The Meeting ACAPS Coordinator Meeting Invited Speaker. Academic Plastic Surgery and DEI: Current Data, Future Directions, and What Can Coordinators Do. Atlanta, GA. October 2021.
- #OperationDiversifyPlastics SNMA x Meharry PSIG x Howard PSIG x Morehouse PSIG x LMSA Virtual Speaker Series. Academic Plastic Surgery and DEI: Current Data, Future Directions. November 2021.
- Houston Society of Plastic Surgeons- 2021- Vice President
- American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association- 2021: Development Committee, Chair
- McGovern Medical School Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award
- Arthur L. Garnes Society Full Member
- Reviewer, Annals of Plastic Surgery
- Black Women in Plastic Surgery and Dermatology (BWPSD), Invited Inaugural Physician Advisory Council Member
- ACAPS Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee, Invited/Appointed Committee Member
- Invited Member to Speak Up Ortho Coalition
- Reception- Host/planner/moderator- Times Up PRS/BWPSD/WOCPRS at ASPS Atlanta, Sponsored by Allergan. Over 130 attendees.
- Raised over $9000 non industry money to give to 11 student Times Up PRS scholarship awardees to ASPS PSTM 2021 and ASRM 2022.
- ASPS PSTM Moderator/Podium presentation Judge and Poster Judge. Practice Management Sessions.
- Inaugural LIMITLESS Leaders Summitt. Dec 10-12, 2021. New Orleans, LA. Invited Faculty, Moderator, Organizer: Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace.
- ASPS Women Plastic Surgeons Steering Committee
- Paid Consultant for Allergan: LIMITLESS Initiative for Women in Surgery